Sand Vs. Gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm really considering switching both my tanks to sand after looking at how pretty some tank set up with sand look.

Is sand easier to take care of than gravel?

Do plants grow better in sand or gravel? 

Which do you feel is better out of the two? 

I figure play sand would probably be my cheapest option but it looks like it only comes in tanish color and white. Is there any colored sand out there that is a decent price? 

i think plants grow better in sand but gravel might be a little easier to take car of but i prefer playsand never the less as it provides a more natural look.

I personally prefer the look of sand, it looks more natural IMO.

Gravel is easier to clean, sand can be easy too, once you get the hang of it :p

Most plants will grow better in sand, for the reason that their roots generally are able to spread easier.

I have a natural coloured coral sand with black/grey slates in one tank and fine black gravel with plants and moss balls in another. I like both looks in the two different tanks. Depends what look you want :)

I'm a sand fan...

Easier to plant in, looks very natural - it always reminds me of the bottom of a lovely fresh, clean river. Great for corydoras, certain gravels are a no-no for them as it's too sharp. Dirt gathers easier on sand, I think, unless you have any fish in there that displace it a lot. Easy enough to clean, slightly different to gravel as cleaning goes but not necessarily more difficult...if I find I'm sucking too much up with the cleaner I just pinch the tube and let it fall back in and try again....

I used play sand in my latest tank £2.99 for 15kg...a no brainer!

fm1978 said:
I'm a sand fan...

Easier to plant in, looks very natural - it always reminds me of the bottom of a lovely fresh, clean river. Great for corydoras, certain gravels are a no-no for them as it's too sharp. Dirt gathers easier on sand, I think, unless you have any fish in there that displace it a lot. Easy enough to clean, slightly different to gravel as cleaning goes but not necessarily more difficult...if I find I'm sucking too much up with the cleaner I just pinch the tube and let it fall back in and try again....

I used play sand in my latest tank £2.99 for 15kg...a no brainer!

I second this, i moved all my tanks to a sand substrate using £2.99 playsand from Homebase. My Loaches and Plec are much happier now.

wow you guys are over paying there in the uk, 15 kg is 33 pounds in the us we get 50 pounds for the price.

ncguppy830 said:
wow you guys are over paying there in the uk, 15 kg is 33 pounds in the us we get 50 pounds for the price.

Serves us right for being metric...

I have both, I find gravel better to plant in, but the cories prefer sand, so I have sand in 3/4 of the tank and gravel at the end for the amazom swords to stay planted. 

Ok guys, I've hidden some posts that are going way off topic and likely to cause arguments.

Can we stick to sand vs gravel, please.

fluttermoth said:
Ok guys, I've hidden some posts that are going way off topic and likely to cause arguments.

Can we stick to sand vs gravel, please.

No problemo, sincere apologies and I'll take the blame for that! I think I started that anyway! Sorry, flutter...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back