🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrscullen5373

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Sorry another stupid simple post.

Hopefully this ones abit easier!

Can I use B&Q play sand for substrate?

Will this cause any problems now or in the future by using it?

It's terracotta coloured sand?

Again sorry I know many have asked such things before but I wanted to be sure!

Thanks x x x

Hi ...

I think they sell two different products.

The wet, washed, dark stickier play-sand which people say stains clothes
(sold in the blue bag). I wouldn't use this.

They also sell the natural colored play-pit sand, the typical fine, dry, beach colored sand (sold in the transparent bag)
... I think this product is probably okay as it is probably just normal sand without any added coloring or anything (but read the package carefully!!!).

Normal, unaltered play sand is fine for an aquarium ... as long as you wash it very thoroughly ... take your time washing it.

Just fill a bucket 1/3 full of sand. Then add water to fill the bucket. Swish through the sand aggressively, stop, wait
like 30 seconds .. the sand grains will drop back down, the dirt will stay up top. Pour off all the water .. add brand new
water to top.. .and repeat process .. over and over ... till the water is perfectly clear. Be patient it might take up
to 15 times or more.

argos do cheaper play sand, which i know is very safe (i have it in my tank) and you just have to wash it LOTS before you put it in :)

Your probably better of getting it from Argos as it is cheaper and we know it is safe.

To wash it fill a storage tub up with half sand and then prop one side up with a bit of wood or something. Then put the hose in on high pressure and just disturb the sand with the water pressure and after 20 mins it will be clean. You tilt the bucket to let the water drain off.

Ok its a shame I can't be certain. The B&Q sand I am talking about is left over from my bearded dragons substrate. I was hoping to change to sand today, but won't be able to if it means going to aegis first. Grrrrr!

That's ok
Is this the playsand you mean
http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3650574/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAY+SAND.htm

Yes that's the right one :) it's a pain, but better safe than sorry!

Sorry if I'm sort of going off at an angle here, but I was planning on using the Argos play sand in my new tank, anyone know what sort of colour it appears once in the aquarium? I was looking for a paler coloured sand.... :blush:

its fairly pale :) doesn't have any bits in it or anything, and as it's only £3 its not too much of a loss if you don't like it :) could use it for gardening instead!

Your probably better of getting it from Argos as it is cheaper and we know it is safe.

To wash it fill a storage tub up with half sand and then prop one side up with a bit of wood or something. Then put the hose in on high pressure and just disturb the sand with the water pressure and after 20 mins it will be clean. You tilt the bucket to let the water drain off.

That would have been faster than what I did! B-)

Heres a quote i left on somebody elses post about sand link to my thread about sand substrate and a little video to show whats probably the best way to wash it through

Make sure you wash it through first though to get rid of the really fine grains of sand
take a look at my thread from when i swapped to sand from gravel i used Argos Play Sand £2.99 for 15kg bag

My Thread
(there's a picture of my tank after the swap near the bottom)

And a nice little video to show you what's probably the best way to go about cleaning it

Youtube Vid

Ok its a shame I can't be certain. The B&Q sand I am talking about is left over from my bearded dragons substrate. I was hoping to change to sand today, but won't be able to if it means going to aegis first. Grrrrr!

That's ok
Is this the playsand you mean
http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3650574/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAY+SAND.htm
Yeh thats the right one! :good:

Sorry if I'm sort of going off at an angle here, but I was planning on using the Argos play sand in my new tank, anyone know what sort of colour it appears once in the aquarium? I was looking for a paler coloured sand.... :blush:
It is pale, this is the colour it normally comes out at (without the dirt of course!) :p :
Click here

Hello again! Need quick replies please. I went and got the argos playsand today and having don't everything else have NOW got round to cleaning it!

Before I do, the front is different to the one on the link I posted. Is it still the right one?
What things must I look out for it terms of it damaging my tank or fish? (On the information or contains list)

Please reply ASAP!!!!!
Xx

Sorry didnt work hopefully this will
http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af28/MrsBlack10272/Other%20bits%20and%20bobs/?action=view&current=IMAG0058.jpg

yes thats the one they changed the bag and did not update the image on the website but thats the same bag of sand i have used in mine tank and its perfectly fine to use if you give it a good wash :)

only think you might have to watch out for is if you use a algae magnet on your tank take it out before putting the sand in and put it back in once the sand has settles because if grains of sand get stuck between the magnet it might end up scratching your glass.

and the water will look cloudy when you put the sand in it will be like this for at least 48 hours-ish dont let it put you off it just needs time to settle a few water changes will help clear it up a little quicker

Thats the right one they changed the bag.

Do what I said regards cleaning and it will settle just abut straight away.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back