Sand or gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kerriemichael

Reaction score
Hi wots best for fry gravel or sand thinking of puting sand in at min i have a few stones but not seeing fry if any die only fry in 60l tank

You posted this in the Livebearer area, so I am assuming the fry are livebearer fry. The substrate makes no difference to survival of livebearer fry.

Another question though, do you have a substrate of gravel or just "a few stones" on the bottom?

I did have alot of stones that came with the tank as its second hand but took most of them out as there was too much and couldnt see if there was any dead fry. I have gravel in my big tank

I did have alot of stones that came with the tank as its second hand but took most of them out as there was too much and couldnt see if there was any dead fry. I have gravel in my big tank

So you do have a gravel substrate in the tank with the fry?

I do yes but thinking sand would be better

Depending upon the size of the gravel grains, there is not really any difference as far as livebearer fry are concerned, which was your initial question. A sand substrate is in my view better in general, but fine gravel can work equally well. Sometimes pea gravel can look effective in a Central American aquascape; you do not want a substrate with larger grain gravel than pea gravel and the essential biological decomposition by bacteria in the substrate can be hampered.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back