Sand In Your Tropical Fish Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Philip: Actually, I have a mix of gravel and sand, it starts with a slightly higher elevation of gravel and lowers to mostly sand, while the two do mix together, I think it looks quite natural.

i read the post and dont know if i missed anything, but what sand do rooted plants prefer? such as different types or grain size???? and does it really matter about having laterite or anything like that aswell?

I believe you made a mistake...

Marine sand
This tends to made from crushed corals and or crushed seashells, the effect of this type of substrate would alter the pH of you aquarium, not what is required for most tropical fish. However marine sand is a suitable substrate for fish that require low pH such as cichlids.

It doesn't lower ph,it raises it.Some cichlids need higher ph and using crushed corals etc is a very effective way to raise the ph...BUT not all cichlids require a higher ph.

BlueIce said:
I believe you made a mistake...

Marine sand
This tends to made from crushed corals and or crushed seashells, the effect of this type of substrate would alter the pH of you aquarium, not what is required for most tropical fish. However marine sand is a suitable substrate for fish that require low pH such as cichlids.

It doesn't lower ph,it raises it.Some cichlids need higher ph and using crushed corals etc is a very effective way to raise the ph...BUT not all cichlids require a higher ph.
I'm pretty sure my original stament is true.
corals and shells are made up of mostly calcium
this is an alkali, therefore adding any alkali to water will lower its acidity.

I really want this to be accurate so perhaps a science guru can clarify this point
perhaps with some evidence.

wolf, if it makes water alkaline, it raises pH.... :p

african cichlids require alkaline water, thus a high pH (7.5 - 8.0)

american cichlids require a lower pH, therefore not all cichlids will benefit from marine sand.

you should maybe clarify that in your post.

ok, thanks to both of you for helping on this point
now changed to the correct info.

Might I suggest adding something to the play sand part? It clouds the water with even the most thorough cleaning, is difficult to maintain, and will, in most cases, find its way into crevasses in your filter.

schizo_fish said:
i read the post and dont know if i missed anything, but what sand do rooted plants prefer? such as different types or grain size???? and does it really matter about having laterite or anything like that aswell?
Sand by itself provides just the anchorage for the plants and maybe a few nutrients. Ideally you should have a lower layer of laterite or plain soil to provide the iron and other nutrients.

The grain size of the sand should not be too fine as this can result in compacting leading to anerobic pockets. The grain size of playpit sand is quite suitable. Besides the grain size you need to look at the roughness as well as this could affect some bottom dwellers which like to burrow in the sand.

redtailblackshark said:
I am scared to use sand, I am afraid that it will all dissolve and then I won't be able to se my fish!
hehe, it won't. I changed my 200L community over to sand yesterday, the others already are. The fish prefer sand (most anyway) especially cories.

Jon

No worries!! :clap: :wub: :D

I started out my new 20 gallon high a few months ago with just play sand from Home Depot, works great!! :thumbs: Just need to wash it very thoroughly before putting it in your tank. My cories, kuhli loach, and horsehead loach ALL seem to very much appreciate it!! They are constantly "changing" the way the sand lays out on the bottom, making their OWN modifications as they see fit!!

I also have several live plants that seem to be doing just fine with just a sand substrate so far....wish I had changed over sooner! :hyper: :*)

I went with the play sand too. I started by going to the LFS to buy my sand, but it was £5 for 4kg!!! Dropped in at Hombase and got 25kg of play pit sand for £2.09. Took a lot of washing though.

Jon

Play sand from home depot Might be magnetic, that happened to me, i tried a magnet to clean the glass and can't get the damn sand off of it!

Great reply Wolf
However
i have a 20H
with a penguin 330
if i would want to change to sand...
would the sand be cought in my filter

Opcn said:
Play sand from home depot Might be magnetic, that happened to me, i tried a magnet to clean the glass and can't get the damn sand off of it!
That should be even more wonderful (if unusual) :) You wont have to add iron tabs for plants!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back