Saltwater Newb Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SherLar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
   Have done freshwater since time immemorial, but have never attempted a saltwater tank. Lately, the wife has expressed interest in some type of red/white shrimp, I don't remember the name. I have a 25G tank that has been sitting around for a few years. So, my questions are, as follows:

1: Is a 25G large enough for 1 or 2 of these shrimp, as well as 2 or 3 small, colorful fish?

2: Do I need a sump for a tank that small, or can I get by without?

3: What kind of filter do I need? Is a normal sponge filter, or hang-on-back like used for freshwater good enough?

4: Is aquarium salt the same as saltwater aquarium salt?

5: Do I have to have live rock in the tank, or are artificial decorations ok?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions, most of them probably stupid. All my aqua-culture friends do freshwater aquariums and ponds, just like me. So, any advice is greatly appreciated, as is any unsolicited advice on questions that I didn't know enough to ask.

Are you sure these are marine shrimp? Taiwanese bee shrimp come in a red and white candy stripe variation.

I'm no saltwater aquarist, but I've been doing plenty of research to answer a few of these questions...

Find out what shrimp, but from the description I have a feeling you're talking about either cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp or possibly a pistol shrimp.

1.25 gallons for either of these shrimp are acceptable.

2. Sump tanks are best, for a 25 gallon tank that sounds perfectly reasonable for a tank that size.

3. Normally, marine tanks have protein skimmers, these are a wise investment and they're pretty easy to clean and they have cups that can be removed and washed and it won't effect the bacteria that you need to keep the levels in check like a freshwater filter would.

4. Aquarium salt is not the same as marine salt. Marine salt provides salinity for the marine tank as well as calcium, magnesium and other minerals that are found in natural seawater.

5. Live rock is ideal as it can provide biological filtration. The rocks are pourous and house beneficial bacteria.

Have fun with your marine tank! I hope to start one of own soon and hopefully have some nice corals.

75gallon.jpg1: Is a 25G large enough for 1 or 2 of these shrimp, as well as 2 or 3 small, colorful fish?
YES

2: Do I need a sump for a tank that small, or can I get by without?
NO, BUT...you'll be glad you did if you can. 

3: What kind of filter do I need? Is a normal sponge filter, or hang-on-back like used for freshwater good enough?
The best filtration is live rock, a skimmer, and perhaps some macro algae in the sump. 

4: Is aquarium salt the same as saltwater aquarium salt?
NO. It's a special salt mix. I recommend Instant Ocean for a basic marine tank. 

5: Do I have to have live rock in the tank, or are artificial decorations ok?
NO. However, live rock is your filtration. Artificial decorations are usually okay. Though most marine aquarists go for a more natural look using the live rock. 

Below is my tank current tank, you can see how the rock really is the decoration. 
75gallon.jpg
This is my old tank. It's 210 gallons. Again, you can see how the rock is dominant. 
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:69448]

Thank you all for your advice. Had another look at the LFS she saw them in, and they're coral banded shrimp. I think we're going to go with 2 shrimp, a few firefish, 20-30 lbs of live rock, and some artificial coral to start. Hoping to get the tank up and started within the month. If we like it, we may add a larger tank down the road. Depends upon how much extra work it costs me.

You should know that coral banded shrimp are very aggressive shrimp. They will kill any other shrimp in the tank, worms, snails, snip at corals (especially anemone), and once they get large enough have been known to take small fish as they sleep for a nice meal. It's a beautiful shrimp for sure, but not for every tank. 

I had one 6 or seven years ago and got rid of him. After all that time I decided to try again just in case that particular one was more aggressive than others. He wasn't, I will be getting rid of the current one I have as well. 

They are fine in some tanks, and are really attractive, but I keep a reef tank with some smaller fish and the coral banded shrimp just isn't right for my tank. 

https://youtu.be/jBiJ7-QXCLk

Thanks, tcamos. Not quite sure what to do now, as the only reason she wants a saltwater tank at the moment is that silly shrimp. She fell in love with them when she first saw them. Go figure. Are there any small, colorful fish that would do well in so small a tank and still be safe from the shrimp? 1 shrimp alone in a tank seems pretty boring.

crs3.jpg

How's that for an alternative?
Crystal red shrimp

Or maybe...
CPOcray1__89473.1404098268.1280.1280.jpg

Orange CPO Crayfish

Both are freshwater options and can work with little fish.  
wink.png

I think if you are keeping with freshwater those are good alternatives. If she has to do salt then I recommend keeping the banded coral shrimp with fast growing soft corals like xenia, cloves, green star polyps, or the like and having pajama or banggai cardinals as the fish. They are mid to upper level swimmers that sleep in the water column and not the rocks so they won't be in danger from the shrimp. They are a great fish. 

This video is the Banggai and below is a picture of the Pajama cardinal. 

https://youtu.be/qx_5G9bpA2o

PajamaCardinal.jpg

Thanks, Eagles and tcamos. Personally, I like the crystal red shrimp better than the banded shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back