Salinity Of Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

prk22

Reaction score
Does anyone know the salinity tolerance of platies?

It's not bad they will tolerate a maild salinerty, but their dont want to to high, they come from hill streams and never see much salinerty in nature unlike mollies and guppies.

Are you asking b/c of the bumble bee gobies you were asking about earlier? (I think that was you?) You could keep the bbg's at sg using marine (saltwater mix) 1.003-1.005 and return of platy's if they don't tolerate it(I have no idea about platy's, you'll have to get that info from others on here.) Mollies are neat and there are sooo many different kinds. My favorite is the marble molly w/the dalmation pattern. Otherwise look at other fish on the brackish forum that could be kept in with them :good:

It is CERTAINLY not recommended. Some might tolerate it if you acclimatise them slowly but it will put so much strain on them that they will probably be ill shortly anyway.

We have a tank with platys at SG 1.005 to 1.006 and they live there now over 8 months and many young have grown up in there, too.

Brackish water fish don't need a special acclimatising as they can move between different salinities within minutes. So, acclimatising them as normal is sufficient.

The only reason to stay within a given salinity in a tank is the fact that the nitrofying bacteria need to adopt and they do that very slowly. That means, changing salinity from freshwater to brackish SG 1.005 or vice versa could take a week or a month depending on your tank setup.

PS:
I used always marine salt to make brackish water. That's the proper way and I have no clue if other salt would be suitable, too.

Most reactions

trending

Back