Sailfin Pleco Growth Rate? (Housed With Oscar)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ester

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Both fish are about 2".  Will the Oscar outgrow the Sailfin too quickly and try to eat him?  What is the growth rate like on these guys?

Thanks.

Mine were very fast.  In six to eight months they went from an inch to 8".  However I think from what I heard that growth rate was exceptional and you can expect to see less than that.  It is very fast regardless.

How big is the Oscar?

Far_King said:
Mine were very fast.  In six to eight months they went from an inch to 8".  However I think from what I heard that growth rate was exceptional and you can expect to see less than that.  It is very fast regardless.

How big is the Oscar?
He's about 2 inches right now, same as the Sailfin.

eaglesaquarium said:
How big is the tank?
75 Gallon. I've been told the pleco won't grow at the same rate, and also will get very large and already poops a lot.  If you were already thinking of another direction, do you have any suggestions?

I was just confirming that the tank was big enough for both at their adult size.  Smaller 'grow-out' tanks give an improper measure for the growth of the fish.  They grow faster and better in a full size tank.

eaglesaquarium said:
I was just confirming that the tank was big enough for both at their adult size.  Smaller 'grow-out' tanks give an improper measure for the growth of the fish.  They grow faster and better in a full size tank.
Another forum suggested getting rid of the Sailfin.  I'm not sure what else to put in there.

Far_King said:
Out of curiosity, why did they suggest this?
Because the growth rate might not match the Oscar.  Also due to the bioload and size of both fish in a 75 gallon.

Hm. Their growth rates can be fast, the loricariid that is. Especially with the high protein foods you'll be feeding the Oscar. Make sure you supplement with veggies as "commons" (usually Pterygoplichthys/Hypostomus species) are omnivorous.
But it still may not be enough, Oscars stack on the size quite quickly...

Sophie said:
Hm. Their growth rates can be fast, the loricariid that is. Especially with the high protein foods you'll be feeding the Oscar. Make sure you supplement with veggies as "commons" (usually Pterygoplichthys/Hypostomus species) are omnivorous.
But it still may not be enough, Oscars stack on the size quite quickly...
I swear I noticed the Sailfin might've grown or filled out after I was gone for a couple days.  Someone in my Facebook group has the exact same setup as I do, and he said he is fine.  As long as the Sailfin can never fit in the O's mouth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back