Sailfin Molly. How Pregnant?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

HCpetraitis

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Usually I'm really good at telling how far along my fish are, but with this molly I'm not sure. In the morning you can definitely see a few little eys. But by the end of the day it is harder to see anything in her. I know she is pregnant and the pics might no be that good but I'm not sure.

angelina001.jpg

angelina002.jpg

angelina004.jpg

Sorry if they are kinda blurry. :)

Ok that sounds great. SHe isn't my fish. I'm taking care of her while my friend is away and she wanted to make sure that if the fish had babies that I was there to catch them. Now I feel so relieved because I can be ready. Thanks! :D

I am with Oliesminis on this. I would have guessed 3 to 5 days myself. This molly was 4 days before her next drop when her picture was taken.

Mom38_1024.jpg
+

I always ignore gravid spots because so many fish are not transparent enough to use it. I use shape instead. A molly will not look very far along when simply overfed but will get enormous, the shape comes from the fry taking up space inside and does not look the same as the rounded look of overfed. To me, that makes all the difference. Shape always seems to work out right if you have something to compare it with.

Ok thanks. But should I still look at the gravid spot? Because I can't even see the eyes and she is huge!

Have a look at the picture above. At 4 days prior with a semi-transparent fish her gravid spot would be pitch black. On her it is white because she has coloring on that part of her and you can't see through it. This picture was taken the day before she delivered the same drop. You can barely see a hint of a shadow unless that happens to have been my lousy lighting casting a shadow. I would not even try looking for a dark spot on her, why bother.

Mom41_1024.jpg

HI everyone. My molly is doing good. I took some more pics of her today. Her graved spot looks a llittle darker. SHe is still not stressed at all so thats a good sign.
004-4.jpg

003-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

Sorry they have a little blur to them, I was hurrying to not stress her out. :)

Well, the store told me she was a hi fin and sailfin molly.

I took more pics. You can definitely see the eyes now. The pictures wern't the best again because I wanted to keep her calm and my camera stinks too. Do you think she could have them today? I really need to be there to trap her and I'm going out of town for the night. What should I do?

001-6.jpg

002-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

i think thats a highfin platymy sail fin mollys fin gose right back to his tail ands wide not high

I agree with Kizno on the ID but that doesn't really matter. She is well on her way to having the fry although maybe not as soon as you might think. I am guessing the fry are a few days away yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back