Sad Fish!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thebeccatron

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I'm new to fish keeping so I apologise for any obvious mistakes I may have made!

I have a lovely 5 gallon tank set up with filter, heater, LED lights.

I bought my little guy home a couple of days ago, half moon betta, no obvious discolouration, no ragged fins, no white spots or obvious bouyancy issues. Active in his teeny pot on the way home.

I slowly (over about an hour) introduced him to his new home (jackpot! mansion!). No other pals in there, he's got the whole place to himself.

Temperature is 80 degrees according to his heater, I tried to purchase a thermometer but they had none in store which was frustrating. I have ordered online in the meantime.

I used water conditioner when I set the tank up.

He was very active yesterday, exploring and nosing about.

Today he has barely emerged from the little hiding area I set up for him. When he does come out, he seems lethargic, though his fins are still nice and perky and he doesn't appear bloated. He just swims back into hiding. Every now and then I find him in the top corner of the tank facing into the corner, not doing much. Then he seems to suddenly come to... then disappears back into hiding!

He ate one pellet yesterday and one today but not interested in more.

I appreciate I might just be a worried mother as he's only been here a few days but if there's anything I've missed or should look out for please let me know!

Could it just be a disrupted sleep pattern? Is it just taking some time for him to get used to things? Are they supposed to be this quiet? I hope he's not sick </3

Thank you :)

-thebeccatron

Hello friends,

I'm new to fish keeping so I apologise for any obvious mistakes I may have made!

I have a lovely 5 gallon tank set up with filter, heater, LED lights.

I bought my little guy home a couple of days ago, half moon betta, no obvious discolouration, no ragged fins, no white spots or obvious bouyancy issues. Active in his teeny pot on the way home.

I slowly (over about an hour) introduced him to his new home (jackpot! mansion!). No other pals in there, he's got the whole place to himself.

Temperature is 80 degrees according to his heater, I tried to purchase a thermometer but they had none in store which was frustrating. I have ordered online in the meantime.

I used water conditioner when I set the tank up.

He was very active yesterday, exploring and nosing about.

Today he has barely emerged from the little hiding area I set up for him. When he does come out, he seems lethargic, though his fins are still nice and perky and he doesn't appear bloated. He just swims back into hiding. Every now and then I find him in the top corner of the tank facing into the corner, not doing much. Then he seems to suddenly come to... then disappears back into hiding!

He ate one pellet yesterday and one today but not interested in more.

I appreciate I might just be a worried mother as he's only been here a few days but if there's anything I've missed or should look out for please let me know!

Could it just be a disrupted sleep pattern? Is it just taking some time for him to get used to things? Are they supposed to be this quiet? I hope he's not sick </3

Thank you :)

-thebeccatron
Well it could just be him getting used to things, does the water feel cold? What type of filter are you using? How long did you let the tank cycle? What are your water parameters? How many watts is your heater? I would set the water temp to 82 degrees for now and see if that helps. Can you include a pic?
Like i said for now i would just set the water temp to 82 degrees, he might be a picky eater, what brand of pellets do you feed him? I would get the Omega one betta buffet pellets, since the main ingredient is whole salmon and other healthy stuff. You said he isnt bloated but i would try to not feed him for 1 day and then feed him half a pea in the morning and half a pea at night just in case. I would also get freeze dried bloodworms since bettas thrive off of eating different foods like for example, i feed my betta, betta pellets 4 days a week, freeze dried bloodworms 2 days a week and every week i feed him a little bit of freeze dried brine shrimp(but he prefers bloodworms over brine shrimp) all bettas are different and some take a few days to settle into his home:) he will probaly start eating in a few days and if he doesnt then tell me!

Well it could just be him getting used to things, does the water feel cold? What type of filter are you using? How long did you let the tank cycle? What are your water parameters? How many watts is your heater? I would set the water temp to 82 degrees for now and see if that helps. Can you include a pic?
Like i said for now i would just set the water temp to 82 degrees, he might be a picky eater, what brand of pellets do you feed him? I would get the Omega one betta buffet pellets, since the main ingredient is whole salmon and other healthy stuff. You said he isnt bloated but i would try to not feed him for 1 day and then feed him half a pea in the morning and half a pea at night just in case. I would also get freeze dried bloodworms since bettas thrive off of eating different foods like for example, i feed my betta, betta pellets 4 days a week, freeze dried bloodworms 2 days a week and every week i feed him a little bit of freeze dried brine shrimp(but he prefers bloodworms over brine shrimp) all bettas are different and some take a few days to settle into his home:) he will probaly start eating in a few days and if he doesnt then tell me!

Thank you for your help!

The water temperature is ok, I scoured the pet stores this evening and found a waterproof mercury thermometer and in at 79f.

I haven't seen him poop so will try the pea method. He did actually take one more pellet half an hour ago, and has finally come out of hiding (he was in hiding for about 8 hours). The pellets are salmon based.

I have attached a picture of the little scamp. I think he's a bit rough around the edges from the pet shop but not too bad! Also his gill looks a bit...frilly? See what I mean? Just underneath.

Photo 12-01-2017, 19 40 04.jpg

Anyway, thanks again, will keep you updated and please let me know if you think of anything else having seen his mug shot.

-thebeccatron

Acclimation to a new home, give him some time. This hobby is about patience not instant gratification.

Success is measured in years, not minutes. :)

Acclimation to a new home, give him some time. This hobby is about patience not instant gratification.

Success is measured in years, not minutes. :)

Sound advice Mr Bones. I'm an emergency nurse so prone to assuming the worst!

I changed the direction of his filter last night and he seems a bit happier today.

Will try playing the long game :)

Just wanted to point that out ^
:)

He's not eaten lots since he's been with me so I wasn't sure if this was a concern as yet? Also his tummy doesn't appear bloated so I don't think he's constipated. Internal parasites? Maybe he has pooped and I just haven't seen it?

He's not eaten lots since he's been with me so I wasn't sure if this was a concern as yet? Also his tummy doesn't appear bloated so I don't think he's constipated. Internal parasites? Maybe he has pooped and I just haven't seen it?

Most of the time you DONT see your betta poop! Your betta probaly is just getting used to the new tank and he is probaly fine:)

Most of the time you DONT see your betta poop! Your betta probaly is just getting used to the new tank and he is probaly fine:)

Thanks Bettalover12 :)

Will see how he goes with a bit more time. Seems more interested in his environment this evening so fingers crossed it's all up from here.

Most likely just needs to adjust. Make sure you do frequent water changes if the tank isn't cycled. You can try feeding peas I don't know why the one guy said not to...of course he didn't give a reason. I doubt he will even eat the pea though. Anyway like everyone else has said, give him time. You probably won't see him [emoji90]. Keep us updated, you have a beautiful betta there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely just needs to adjust. Make sure you do frequent water changes if the tank isn't cycled. You can try feeding peas I don't know why the one guy said not to...of course he didn't give a reason. I doubt he will even eat the pea though. Anyway like everyone else has said, give him time. You probably won't see him [emoji90]. Keep us updated, you have a beautiful betta there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks maxhrbal! He's called Simon haha!

He's just eaten 3 pellets (I think 4 per day is about right?) and I'm delighted!

Updates will follow :)

Hey guys,

Simon is doing well, he's less lethargic and is eating like a trooper.

I've done a couple of water changes but the surface still seems quite scummy, not sure how to describe it, almost like oil slick when I look from underneath. See photo attached. Is this normal? Should it disappear with regular water changes?

I never leave uneaten food in there or anything.

Thanks again :)

Photo 15-01-2017, 18 21 22.jpg

That is probably a protein film. Not dangerous in itself, but as it thickens it can impede the necessary gas exchange (oxygen in, CO2 and nitrogen out) and this is something you do not want to happen. Once the tank biology is established, this shouldn't continue. In the meantime, during the water change, invert the large end from underneath the surface and suck in the surface water. That is the easiest method; laying paper towels on the surface made a worse mess when I tried it.

Some floating plants would be a very good idea here; Betta have the need to cruise among floating vegetation. Live floating plants are about the easiest plants, but artificial would do the job too.

Organics can also cause this, along with bacterial blooms and diatom blooms. All these should settle as others have said.

Byron.

That is probably a protein film. Not dangerous in itself, but as it thickens it can impede the necessary gas exchange (oxygen in, CO2 and nitrogen out) and this is something you do not want to happen. Once the tank biology is established, this shouldn't continue. In the meantime, during the water change, invert the large end from underneath the surface and suck in the surface water. That is the easiest method; laying paper towels on the surface made a worse mess when I tried it.

Some floating plants would be a very good idea here; Betta have the need to cruise among floating vegetation. Live floating plants are about the easiest plants, but artificial would do the job too.

Organics can also cause this, along with bacterial blooms and diatom blooms. All these should settle as others have said.

Byron.

Thanks Byron!

For sure, as you can probably see the little bubbles that he blows are getting stuck underneath this film.

I'll definitely try sucking off that surface layer during the next change, and will look into floating plants.

Much appreciated :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back