S

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jredouard25

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need some ideas on what fish I can add to my tank tht have good temperament. (60 gallon)

I currently have:
IS THIS BETTER?!

6 xCory’s
8x Tiger Barbs
1x FEMALE betta
1x Genderless Pearl gourami
4x kuhli loaches
3x angel fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1x Genderless Pearl gourami

Virtually every pearl gourami (Trichopodus leerii) sold in stores is male.

Bettas and Gouramis should never be kept in the same tank, and anybody who tries to tell you otherwise hasn't got a clue about these fish.

3x Cory’s
3x Tiger Barbs

Both these need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, 10 or more is better.

Virtually every pearl gourami (Trichopodus leerii) sold in stores is male.

Bettas and Gouramis should never be kept in the same tank, and anybody who tries to tell you otherwise hasn't got a clue about these fish.

Both these need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, 10 or more is better.

My pearl and betta do chase each other and lightly nip each-other im so serious! And ill get a lil bit more tigers ig.

My pearl and betta do chase each other and lightly nip each-other
That is a problem, and will result in the Betta being killed, and NO do not argue this with me as in this case I know better.

That is a problem, and will result in the Betta being killed, and NO do not argue this with me as in this case I know better.

Well I am. And my statement and hypothesis is correct. I have proof and I study them.

You two play nice :)

If you post a picture of the pearl gourami I will try to tell you what sex it is. Males have a longer pointed dorsal fin and more pointed anal fin. Females have shorter rounded fins.

I agree with Nick on keeping Bettas and gouramis separate to stop agro issues. And I agree on getting more barbs and cories. However, Tiger barbs can be fin nippers and might limit what other fishes you keep in the tank. Keeping barbs in larger groups (10 or more) will let them bicker with each other and hopefully leave the other fish in the tank alone. Try to avoid slow moving fishes or fish with long flowing fins when keeping Tiger barbs. :)

Personally I wouldn't keep tiger barbs with Pearl Gouramis of Bettas as both these tend to be sedate fish.

Can only agree with Nick. I wouldn't have Bettas and Gouramis together, nor Bettas and Tiger Barbs. Gouramis will get more and more aggressive towards the Betta as it gets bigger. Likewise, Tiger Barbs are notorious fin nippers so will love to go for the Betta.

Personally with what you have i'd return the Betta and get some more Corys to bring the number up to 6-8.Colin is also right to mention that you need to be careful of slower moving fish with the Tiger Barbs so you need to decide if you want to keep them and if so, bring the number up to 6-8. Then just make sure avoid slower moving fish with long fins. I'd also look to getting a couple more Pearl Gouramis rather than have one on its own.

Most fish prefer to live in groups of the same species so I would suggest maybe a bit of research for the next fish type you get rather than just buying one or two at a time that look nice in the shop. You'll find the right mix of compatible fish will bring you more enjoyment and the right numbers of each type will make the fish happier too.

Tiger barbs can get EXTREMELY aggressive, especially in small groups. I also agree with the posts above regarding the gourami & betta.

Never keep Tiger Barbs with any sedate or long-finned fish. This is only asking for trouble, and eventually it will, assuming the fish are normal and healthy. Leopards do not change their spots, ever.

Tiger Barbs need a group of at least 10, and in a 30 gallon tank with no other upper fish (some substrate fish like cories can work). This is minimum for numbers and tank space.

Gourami species should never be combined (with a few exceptions) and in general anabantid species should not be combined. Betta are anabantids. Any sign of physical chasing as you describe is serious, and likely to be deadly before long.

The cories must have a group of at least five or six; where tank space permits, more will always be better. These fish will be less stressed the more there are of them.

Never keep Tiger Barbs with any sedate or long-finned fish. This is only asking for trouble, and eventually it will, assuming the fish are normal and healthy. Leopards do not change their spots, ever.

Tiger Barbs need a group of at least 10, and in a 30 gallon tank with no other upper fish (some substrate fish like cories can work). This is minimum for numbers and tank space.

Gourami species should never be combined (with a few exceptions) and in general anabantid species should not be combined. Betta are anabantids. Any sign of physical chasing as you describe is serious, and likely to be deadly before long.

The cories must have a group of at least five or six; where tank space permits, more will always be better. These fish will be less stressed the more there are of them.

When days pass weeks months then years and my tank is perfectly fine. Im gonna come back here and prove u wrong. Cuz rn my fish are FINE PERIOD OML.

When days pass weeks months then years and my tank is perfectly fine. Im gonna come back here and prove u wrong. Cuz rn my fish are FINE PERIOD OML.

Members have said that before, but interestingly, none ever do...because it isn't true.

There is no point in trying to explain things, you have made up your mind and so be it. But intelligent people learn from others who know; if this wasn't generally true, humans would still be sitting in front of a cave rubbing sticks to make a fire. We learn from others and pass that on. You may think you know more than all those who have spent a lifetime studying biology and ichthyology, but none of us do know more.

Just as one example of your lack of understanding...The adverse conditions you have created and forced your fish to tolerate does have a detrimental impact on their physiology and metabolism. You may not see the aggressive nature, but that is because the poor fish are so stressed out they cannot function normally. You are not going to change what has been programmed into the DNA of a species over thousands of years.

Actions have consequences. Anyone who risks their fish to prove they know better should not be in this hobby.

Members have said that before, but interestingly, none ever do...because it isn't true.

There is no point in trying to explain things, you have made up your mind and so be it. But intelligent people learn from others who know; if this wasn't generally true, humans would still be sitting in front of a cave rubbing sticks to make a fire. We learn from others and pass that on. You may think you know more than all those who have spent a lifetime studying biology and ichthyology, but none of us do know more.

Just as one example of your lack of understanding...The adverse conditions you have created and forced your fish to tolerate does have a detrimental impact on their physiology and metabolism. You may not see the aggressive nature, but that is because the poor fish are so stressed out they cannot function normally. You are not going to change what has been programmed into the DNA of a species over thousands of years.

Actions have consequences. Anyone who risks their fish to prove they know better should not be in this hobby.

But u gotta experiment and keep on experimenting how do u think we’re here today. I experimented and my fish are fine

But u gotta experiment and keep on experimenting how do u think we’re here today. I experimented and my fish are fine

No, sorry, but that is not a responsible fishkeeping attitude. You do not experiment with living creatures when there is tons of science telling you that you are wrong. Your fish are not "fine," because you have forced them into a completely inappropriate situation and they must now somehow cope with it, and that alone is weakening them biologically.

Every point I made in post # 10 is absolute scientific fact. To argue against any of those points is like arguing with me that the earth is flat. Science governs this hobby, and responsible aquarists must and do understand that and learn from the science.

Not when the welfare of living creatures is at stake; you learn from people who know better than you, or your animals suffer, that's the bottom line.

Please, please, stop thinking you know best. We are trying, very hard, to give you the very best, most up-to-date information, so that you don't have to experiment, which is not fair to your fish.

Please also bear in mind that you cannot keep making personal attacks on the members here. We want to help you, but you have to stop with the attitude, it's really not on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back