FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
if i have diagnosed this right: poor water quality due to filter breaking a
I disagree this has very little to do with the filter breaking down. However I do agree that poor water quality has something to do with it.

Why are you using bottled water? What brand is the bottled water?

Can you please post a photo of the fish?

This fish has Swim Bladder Disorder in my opinion but I need to see a photo first then I can advise you further, however I dont hold out much hope.

hey all, i think this is posting to everyone that tried to help me...anyhow, im pretty sad to say he passed shortly after i posted in the forum..i just caught the situation too late. thankyou to everyone that took the time to respond to help me and my pet!hey all, i think this is posting to everyone that tried to help me...anyhow, im pretty sad to say he passed shortly after i posted in the forum..i just caught the situation too late. thankyou to everyone that took the time to respond to help me and my pet!

I disagree this has very little to do with the filter breaking down. However I do agree that poor water quality has something to do with it.

Why are you using bottled water? What brand is the bottled water?

Can you please post a photo of the fish?

This fish has Swim Bladder Disorder in my opinion but I need to see a photo first then I can advise you further, however I dont hold out much hope.
hey all, i think this is posting to everyone that tried to help me...anyhow, im pretty sad to say he passed shortly after i posted in the forum..i just caught the situation too late. thankyou to everyone that took the time to respond to help me and my pet!

4 years is a decent age for a betta, he would be considered and old man so the poor water quality really effected him.

When looking at your video you need to remove the bubbler. The flow is far too strong and it is making it very hard for your betta to get to the surface for air. I'd also put him in something else. That is far to little an amount of water and even by just breathing the water will go bad in a day. Put him in something at least a gallon, be it a container or back in his tank. You should also add his fake plant so he can rest closer to the surface. Try not to have the water more than 4 inches deep. Right now the priority is clean water and the betta can easily reach the surface for air, so that means little to no water movement.

Bettas need heaters, end of story. Pick up one of those mini heaters, it will work wonders. 78F is perfect for them.

To clean his tank all you need to do is empty out the water with a siphon. Seeing as your filter is broke you might as well take out all the gravel and wash it with water (not hot or cold, somewhere in between). You can rinse out his tank as well and use it for his hospital tank. The critters that caused the ich are in the gravel while the thing that caused the finrot was the water itself. By adding all fresh water and keeping it fresh with daily water changes you can cure the fin rot. As for the ich, might as well pick up some Quick cure and use as directed. It can even help with the fin rot.

If he ever recovers enough to eat then you have a good chance of saving him.
hey all, i think this is posting to everyone that tried to help me...anyhow, im pretty sad to say he passed shortly after i posted in the forum..i just caught the situation too late. thankyou to everyone that took the time to respond to help me and my pet!
So here's the things I would do:
1. get him in a different, larger container.
2. add something for the betta to rest on near the surface
3. get a heater
4. decrease water flow
5. get quick cure or other ick med
6. water changes, water changes, and more water changes to keep the water clean. Daily water changes of 50% is good.

hey all, i think this is posting to everyone that tried to help me...anyhow, im pretty sad to say he passed shortly after i posted in the forum..i just caught the situation too late. thankyou to everyone that took the time to respond to help me and my pet!:(

4 years is a decent age for a betta, he would be considered and old man so the poor water quality really effected him.

When looking at your video you need to remove the bubbler. The flow is far too strong and it is making it very hard for your betta to get to the surface for air. I'd also put him in something else. That is far to little an amount of water and even by just breathing the water will go bad in a day. Put him in something at least a gallon, be it a container or back in his tank. You should also add his fake plant so he can rest closer to the surface. Try not to have the water more than 4 inches deep. Right now the priority is clean water and the betta can easily reach the surface for air, so that means little to no water movement.

Bettas need heaters, end of story. Pick up one of those mini heaters, it will work wonders. 78F is perfect for them.

To clean his tank all you need to do is empty out the water with a siphon. Seeing as your filter is broke you might as well take out all the gravel and wash it with water (not hot or cold, somewhere in between). You can rinse out his tank as well and use it for his hospital tank. The critters that caused the ich are in the gravel while the thing that caused the finrot was the water itself. By adding all fresh water and keeping it fresh with daily water changes you can cure the fin rot. As for the ich, might as well pick up some Quick cure and use as directed. It can even help with the fin rot.

If he ever recovers enough to eat then you have a good chance of saving him.

So here's the things I would do:
1. get him in a different, larger container.
2. add something for the betta to rest on near the surface
3. get a heater
4. decrease water flow
5. get quick cure or other ick med
6. water changes, water changes, and more water changes to keep the water clean. Daily water changes of 50% is good.

I'm in the UK, so I don't know exactly what medicines you can get, but it will say on the bottle. You want a medication that will treat bacterial infections. I would recommend either Esha 2000 or Esha Exit, if you can get them; if not any other will do, but NOT Melafix or Bettafix; they won't be strong enough for your fish. Get an Ich medication as well, but don't use it yet.

You don't want to be using multiple medications at once, as they might react with each other. Are you sure he has ich? It will show up as very bright white, raised spots, that look almost like grains of salt or sugar, and they will be all over the fish.

He needs to go back into the bigger tank; that little bowl is far too small. Just fill his tank up with new, clean warm water; the more water he has, the more any toxins will be diluted. Any medication will treat the tank as well as the fish.

Don't worry about trying to feed him; he'll feel too sick to want to eat, and don't keep prodding him or moving him around, or trying to get the bubbles near his mouth; those things are stressful for him and he needs peace and quiet.

Try and get some live plants when you're at the shop; they'll help keep the water cleaner, and if you can possibly get a bigger tank (even if it's a plastic container) that would be good too.

Let us know how things are going x

I'm in the UK, so I don't know exactly what medicines you can get, but it will say on the bottle. You want a medication that will treat bacterial infections. I would recommend either Esha 2000 or Esha Exit, if you can get them; if not any other will do, but NOT Melafix or Bettafix; they won't be strong enough for your fish. Get an Ich medication as well, but don't use it yet.

You don't want to be using multiple medications at once, as they might react with each other. Are you sure he has ich? It will show up as very bright white, raised spots, that look almost like grains of salt or sugar, and they will be all over the fish.

He needs to go back into the bigger tank; that little bowl is far too small. Just fill his tank up with new, clean warm water; the more water he has, the more any toxins will be diluted. Any medication will treat the tank as well as the fish.

Don't worry about trying to feed him; he'll feel too sick to want to eat, and don't keep prodding him or moving him around, or trying to get the bubbles near his mouth; those things are stressful for him and he needs peace and quiet.

Try and get some live plants when you're at the shop; they'll help keep the water cleaner, and if you can possibly get a bigger tank (even if it's a plastic container) that would be good too.

Let us know how things are going x

Sorry to hear that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back