Routing Of Cannister Hose Through Hood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rob10101

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,  I had a question regarding running the hoses for my Fluval 406 Cannister into a 55 gal tank (48x13) through the hoods. The tank has two similar hoods with perforated cut outs along the back of each for a Penguin 350 (I am using the cannister in the place of the Penguin 350).  Since I am using the cannister, all I need space for are the hoses (one to each side of the tank, inlet in one rear corner, outlet in the other rear corner).  The only other items that might need space would be one for a heater, possibly an air pump hose if I decide to run an air bubbler (which I don't I will need to due to the movement created by the cannister filter outlet or I may just run an air curtain along the back glass of the tank).  So I am trying to figure out just how to run all the hoses without removing the larger cut outs that would create more evaporation of water as a result.  If I do need to remove the cutout or both cutouts on the back, I will.  That would be the easiest way to go but it does open up the tank.  I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.  I have attached a picture of a hood from one side.  Both sides have the same hood so you'll see what I mean.  Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20151019_131319 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_20151019_131319 - Edited.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 193
I am taking a guess but seems like you purchased the Marineland 55gal kit? IF so, great buy! It is what I have in my dining room. To answer your question, you don't really have much of an option except to take apart one of the cutouts. The other option is to get a glass canopy but that would require new LED lights. To make life easier I would just take one of the cut outs as you do not really need to have 2 if you are going to have the intake and exhaust next to each other. The heater cord I just put it through the slot next to the clamp that holds the lid to the aquarium.
My only complaint with the hoods are the the clips are easy to break and requires a new hood if the clip attached to the brace snaps.

Totally right about the tank/hood.  I am moving from a 29 Gal Tall to this one so I am trying out some new things.  That is pretty much the bare minimum that I can do in terms of removing only one of the cut outs.  I'll get it all set up and running tomorrow and then cycling before I add any fish.  Thanks for your help!!

No problem Rob! Be sure to post some pics please!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back