Round And Round The Garden

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BigC

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
As I like a spot of gardening I just thought I'd share with you some pictures of my gardening exploits.
When my family first moved into our new home, it was a new build and the rear garden was just that...a building site, littered with used cement bags and plumbing off-cuts.
We hired a few skips and a Rotavator and began the monumental task of trying to make a garden out of a rubbish tip. I think we've succeeded. See what you think!

Picture476.jpg

At least its not raining lol

Picture480.jpg

The bottom end

Picture493.jpg

Picture492.jpg

Hosta

Picture494.jpg

Black Bamboo

Picture495.jpg

Primula Vialli

Picture499.jpg

Latest addition..... Red Berry

Picture491.jpg

A selection of pots

Picture483.jpg

Come sit a while.....

I love Acers and I would have a garden full of them if I could
here are just a few...

Picture496.jpg

Nice shape.. I wish I'd planted this in a huge pot rather than in the border

Picture489.jpg

This one I've had from about 12" in height

Picture490.jpg

I recently put this group together, All supplies available from B&Q
it consists of a nice pot, compost & Black pebbles. Consisting of an Acer palmatum Dissectum
and a Saxifraga. Turned out pretty well I think. I was trying to achieve that Japanese look.

Picture497.jpg

Who's that! A Japanese Hotei. He's meant to bring good luck if you rub his head.
No big lottery win thus far :lol:

No garden is complete without a bit of water IMO
I wanted a huge formal Koi pond but she wouldn't let me
so here's my small splash - economy model

Picture501.jpg

Half barrel pond, complete with a minature Water Lily and Iris

Picture500.jpg

Yes! you did see a fish, in actual fact there are two comet goldfish in residence

Picture502.jpg

Another one of my DIY jobs...Its a small bamboo watercourse which accepts the pipe from the circulation pump.
It makes a nice relaxing noise of splashing water in the summer evenings.

Well that's about it, I hope you enjoyed this mini tour around my garden
Thanks for dropping by
Regards
BigC

I said so before, and I say it again..... Beauuuutiful!!!.... I know (like myself) you've just moved into Bonsai's..... show us some of those!....

nice mate love the acer dissectum you must have nice acid soil :)
one quick question how come your hosta is the only one ive seen with no snail damage lol you hideing some magic powers :rolleyes:
also if your vialli is large enough to split try a bit in your water mate i grow mine as a marginal/bog plant and it thrives
regards scot :good:

just seen luds post !!
what bonsai you got mate you doing an acer ive just started off a porotia and an acer psudoplatanus (edit spelling lol)
scot :)

Ah Ludwig, I see your falling in love with this Japanese slice of Northern Ireland this is your second visit in as many days. lol
Bonsai well yes. I'm keen, I want to learn, I've done a mountain of research, I bought a small Chinese Elm for starters and as you can see from the pics I'm no Mr Miagi
The first day I got the blooming thing the leaves started to drop off. It was perfectly fine in the shop, a picture of health. Maybe I should stick to Acers. I'll keep it though as a learning piece but my main aim was to move onto miniature Japanese Acers (bonsai)

nice mate love the acer dissectum you must have nice acid soil
Yeah I remove the top soil every spring and re apply with acidic compost for Rhododendrons

one quick question how come your hosta is the only one ive seen with no snail damage lol you hideing some magic powers
Get yourself a frog M8, They seem to mop up everything around that pond.

also if your vialli is large enough to split try a bit in your water mate i grow mine as a marginal/bog plant and it thrives
I have a couple of bunches growing along that fence and I water them profusely, Interestingly enough, it didn't like being around the pond area where it is very damp

ATB
C

Just not the right season here in SA to be "showing off" my self developed Bonsai, but despite, here goes.....

Flakes178.jpg

Flakes172.jpg

Flakes182.jpg

and here's our chief bird scarer and garden Fertiliser..... our 23yr old moggie "Beauty".

Picture507.jpg

ATB
C

Your garden is beautiful Big C. :drool:

How would you like to come to Wyoming when I move and make my yard look pretty. :hey: I'm not too bad with plants but I'll be going from 32-36" of rain a year to 10". :blink: I'm thinking lots of succulants. :lol:

In the Early Morning Rain..half a dollar in my hand. (as the song goes)
Well yes it's raining here in Northern Ireland once again, only to be expected I guess. There's thunder and lightening looming in the air.
Here's a few shots from this morning, I was expecting to sit outside, have breakfast and read a magazine but I guess that's not gonna happen today.

Picture512.jpg

In total contrast to the sunshine

Picture514.jpg

Picture513.jpg

Gloomy Outlook

Picture516.jpg

Must think about getting that guy a raincoat

How would you like to come to Wyoming when I move and make my yard look pretty. I'm not too bad with plants but I'll be going from 32-36" of rain a year to 10". I'm thinking lots of succulents.
I'd love to visit Wyoming D and also be able to grow large cacti outdoors that would be amazing. I can get some smaller relations that are hardy to our climatic conditions such as Sempervivum

Here is my only succulent (cacti). It really has grown over the years...seems to like that spot

Picture511.jpg

There is still room in the garden for a few more plants I think. Last season I lost my pride and joy
Parthenocissus henryana this plant I definitely want to replace. It used to grow up the back wall of my house and was a colourful spectacle in the late summer/autumn
I grew it in a large trough which became waterlogged in winter and rotted the rood structure.
To hide the oil tank some what I wish to plant a New Zealand Tree Fern (Dicksonia squamosa)
There was a small folage plant I came across whilst Holidaying in Queensland Australia by the name of Rhoeo (so far unable to find it in the UK ...not the the variegated variety) So chesterscott if you come across this one give me a shout.....
I also want to try a Sml Bottlebrush. Callistemon sp.
And maybe Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) and Hibiscus in the Greenhouse.
We used the Greenhouse for tomatoes and salad vegetables in previous years but I would like to grow some exotic plants at some point
I think that should keep me busy for this year
ATB
BigC

Wow that is a Stunning Garden :good: :good:

How lovely, BigC! :flowers:

Having a garden is one of the things I miss most about living in an apartment complex. Window sill plants are fine, but it's just not the same.

Sweet cat, too. :wub:

Never took u as green fingered sir...Gotta say i'm impressed..specially like the self portrait in sculpture...nice touch,lol....

Never took u as green fingered sir...Gotta say i'm impressed..specially like the self portrait in sculpture...nice touch,lol....
:lol: Cheeky Prat!
He weighs more than me, made from stone, he's more solid than I am and can take a few knocks. Funnily my wife seems to have your train of thought.
I like plants and planting, I'm no expert, I just see something I like and buy it I guess, some things work and some don't.
But I do have a soft spot for Acers.
ATB
C

:yahoo: Wey Hey!
My Bonsai (Chinese Elm) is making a comeback.

Picture518.jpg

Eat yor heart out
mr_miagi.jpg

Everything's comming up
Picture520.jpg

Pudsey Bear rose.

ATB
C

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back