Ropefish and Guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I'm thinking about putting a ton of male and female guppies in my 30 gallon, along with my ropefish. Well, he is VERY lazy and docile and I don't think he'd eat the adults, but I want him in there to control the population of fry. I'll keep some if others are eaten. Does anyone think this will work out since his so sluggish and he really can't catch any fish? He's very well fed so, I think it would work... -_-

Nice buffet for the ropefish. He may seem slow and lazy but if he's hungry he'll chow down. Not only that but he will eat the fry. IMO, IME, don't do it.

One thing though. This ropefish was in a tank with guppie size fish for a couple days and he showed no intrest and he wasn't fed that day. Should I be taking that into consideration? -_-

Fish can go for a few weeks without food, ive only seen mine eat once or twice in the three months I've had him, he eats every couple days though, but I feed every day. Mine likes to eat every couple days. :dunno: What were these 1-2 inch sized fish?

I had my ropefish (16") in a 30 gallon tank, and a few times a year would throw in some 2-3" minnows. Scales everywhere, no prisoners.

A large number of guppies may last a while, but only until he catches them all.

Watching them hunt live food is impressive. I raised mine on pellets, but always supplimented with live, usually when we had company over.

Good luck, and keep that lid on tight!
/Kris

Yeah, I'm not going to put guppies in now. I have a small shoal of silver dollars in there now, so, I'm all set. :D He was in with some platties and he didn't tough em' though. -_-

Most reactions

Back