Rocks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

UKSPEED

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent amount of rocks for an angel/community tank, and wondering if anyone knows a good source other than LFS who are over priced, and of course beaches and rivers.

Also is there any particular type you can recommend, or any to avoid due to harming the water?

Thanks

I have used river rock from landscape and quarry suppliers.  River rock refers to rounded smooth chunks of rock that you can get in many sizes from pebbles on up to larger pieces.  It is worn smooth by water action, hence the name.  This should be safe to use from the perspective of toxic substances, just give it a very good wash with hot water (not boiling which can cause rock to explode) and a stiff brush.

Another aspect of rock is whether it is calcareous or not.  Calcareous rock contains calcium which slowly dissolves, raising the GH and pH in an aquarium.  This is fine if you intend an aquarium of hard water fish like livebearers or rift lake cichlids.  But for soft water fish (angelfish, tetras, rasbora, etc) this is something you do not want.  River rock is not likely to be calcareous, as it will usually be granite in composition.  You can test for this with an acid like vinegar, though this is a very weak acid, and a better one would be the Regent #2 of the API nitrate test kit.  A couple drops on a dry rock is all you do; if it fizzes it is calcareous.

If you are intending angelfish and other soft water fish like some of the tetra that will work with angelfish, wood should be the prime aquascaping material.  The waters that these fish come from are full of sunken wood, whether roots, branches, logs.  Rocks are rarely if ever seen, but that doesn't mean you can't have some, depending upon how authentic you want the aquascape.  Wood has other benefits too, as it releases tannins and organics that suit such fish.

Byron.

Collect them yourself from rocky beaches or rivers. Far more fun. As Byron says check to see the rocks you pick up aren't going to slowly dissolve.

OOPS, just noticed you said not beaches and rivers..........

Lava rocks are lighter (less dense) than other rocks but tend to be about the same price per kilo so they might be a good choice to get more volume of rock for your buck.

Thanks everyone. I'm not near a beach so it's harder to get them. A river is an option but it's just finding somewhere decent! I'll have a browse of landscape suppliers and also have a look into lava rock!

A caution on the lava rock.  I have some chunks, and it is rather rough.  I wouldn't suggest using it if you intend substrate fish like loaches, corys, etc.  Also, it is sometimes slightly calcareous, which I explained previously.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back