rocks, gravel and sand. are they safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tomer126

Reaction score
hey, i recently got back from a vacation near a beach, and brought some rocks, gravel and sand for my tank. my question is if it is safe to use in a freshwater tank (after being washed and cleaned, of course).

i would just wash them with tap water at high pressure from my shower

even still there would be tiny salt particles embedded in the rocks and gravel and over time they would get into your tank

No don't put it in your tank. You can wash it all you want but it will still have salt in it which is unfair on your freshwater fish. If you had a saltwater tank that would of been fine, you have freshwater fish so you can't risk making the fish suffer/struggle!!
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so, there is absolutely no way to completely get rid of the salt in the sand, gravel and rocks? nothing? because it is really beautiful and would be a shame to throw it all away...

so, there is absolutely no way to completely get rid of the salt in the sand, gravel and rocks? nothing? because it is really beautiful and would be a shame to throw it all away...

You would have too sadly because them little salt particles can effect the fish a lot considering its only a little salt particle! You could keep the rocks gravel and sand if you were to get a saltwater tank in the future
~Karen

it took me some time to find and collect these... but better not to use them then use them and kill my fish, i guess... a salt water tank is over my head at this point i think, so i will just wont be using what i got...
by the way, if i go to a freshwater body of water, there will be no problem if i get some gravel and sand from there, right?

Salt is an issue with items collected on an ocean beach. Wood is especially bad for this, but rock, sand and gravel can still be risky.

As for freshwater, the salty is not a problem obviously but you now have other things to worry about. Pathogens, microscopic critters, bacteria, fungi...collecting outdoors is a risk. Dead dried leaves and branches away from water are safer if they are adequately handled.

Salt is an issue with items collected on an ocean beach. Wood is especially bad for this, but rock, sand and gravel can still be risky.

As for freshwater, the salty is not a problem obviously but you now have other things to worry about. Pathogens, microscopic critters, bacteria, fungi...collecting outdoors is a risk. Dead dried leaves and branches away from water are safer if they are adequately handled.

I agree, it's a risk getting gravel, rocks, sand from outdoors. Picture a dog/cat/animal having an accident on the gravel, and then you putting the gravel, sand, rocks with the fish! I would just purchase it from a store so the fish have no risk of dying. Even if it was freshwater gravel, sand, rocks there could be anything on them. Imagine putting it with your fish!!! Just stick to buying it from your local fish shop/website! Hope this helps ;)
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back