Rio 180 Tank Replacement Bulbs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dzambhala

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just purchased and collected a used Juwel Rio 180 Tank from ebay.

Great condition, it just needs a VERY good clean.

The only thing wrong with it, I'm told, is that the lights do not work and I require replacement bulbs.

I'm just not sure which ones ones.

I've taken one of the bulbs out, its a Classica FX30 36''

I've noticed that when you look at sets online, it seems to give you one blue bulb and one normal bulb, but after reading a little, that seems to be more oriented towards Marine aquariums, and my fish are Tropical.

Would that make any difference?

So basically, I need to know what lights I require for Tropical fish, if you know the cheapest place to get them in the uk and if I need both lights, or could do with one?

My current setup is a 95lt with one 20w bulb...

Thanks in advance!

From my limited experience, the lights are purely for plant growth and your viewing pleasure.

I was recently sold a Juwel 180 with '2 blown bulbs' and it turns out, the problem lies in the lighting unit itself, the ballast goes. This is a £90 quid replacement from Juwel, or a DIY fix, there's a stickied thread in the DIY section at the bottom of main page.

Unfortunately, for the less honest, your more likely to get a sale saying both bulbs are blown, rather than saying the light unit isn't working and costs a fortune to replace!

Hope for your sake, it is just the bulbs, however I wouldn't be surprised if they've pulled a fast one on you, just like a seller pulled on me a few weeks back :(
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/265546-fixing-juwel-light-bar/

Juwel bulbs are a special size so you have to buy juwel bulbs. If they are blown and/or the light bar is broken it may be because they've had a non-juwel bulb in there. 

I'd go with a daylight and tropical plant bulb I think you often find them sold as a pair.

Thanks for your quick reply, yes I hope my sellers were honest!

Had a quick browse at the link you posted and I think I could manage that, though I'd leave it as a last resort (after getting new bulbs)

I've found these two what do you or anyone else think about them??

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/tropical-daylight-30-watt-36-inch-by-interpet-(available-in-store-only)-119811

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/community-daylight-30-watt-36-inch-by-interpet-(available-in-store-only)-119825

Also I've noticed that you can mix and match nature/day/ high light, just wondering whats the best solution.

Oh and also, I don't have live plants, if that makes a difference....

I have used non-Juwel bulbs in mine, although they are 900mm (Juwel 895mm) but seem to fit fine, they click into the connectors fine without pushing anything?

What is the reason you have to buy genuine bulbs, am I missing something?!

Because juwel make them to a slightly different size for their light units. I suppose if you want to try something else that's up to you!

Regarding the bulbs you choose it's more about the colour temperature you like. A plant bulb is a kind of pink colour and brings out reds and blues (or was it green & blue?) and a dayliight tube is a yellowy white and a hi light tube is a bright white. A lot of people put a pinkish coloured bulb with a white bulb. The pink bulb brings out the colour of your fish/plants and the white bulb (usually placed at the front) brightens your tank and blends with the pink so you don't have too much red light in the tank or too much bright white. But some people like the colour you get with double plant bulbs or double white bulbs, it's all personal preference!

Thanks, its good to know that its mainly personal pref. Now i'm thinking about a day light bulb, along with a blue bulb to possibly give a better ocean effect?!

Just looked at both of the dud bulbs again, and they are 900mm

So now I think they are the unofficial kind....

I'm now looking at Juwel version 895mm, T8.

I've also seen T5 and T8 and not so sure about the difference, figuring my tank is about 4 years old or so i'm told, so T8 should be fine?

It's hard to tell you should measure the diameter of the bulb you took out to measure if it's T8 or T5...there's probably a better way to tell lol - are there any stickers or printing on the light bar? At 4 years old it could be T5. They are different sized bulbs so you wanna get it right! The wattage will help. 

Blue bulbs aren't usually seen in freshwater (except maybe on a separate circuit for a "night" light) I can't picture what colour that would give you, maybe it would work! I'm not expert on lighting, just know enough to be dangerous lol

T8 pins are further away from each other than t5.

You'll be able to get your index finger near enough in between t8 pins, but nowhere near on t5 unless you have the fingers of a 5 year old :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back