Riccia Dying For Unknown Reason?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

billm90

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon planted tank. I use this tank to get things going. flourite and eco-complete gravel. DIY co2, add in flourish, and root tabs.
everything I put in this tank takes off growing.

I have 2.3 watts of light per gallon.
I have a HOB filter, and a power head shooting the CO2

I had a ton of floating riccia in the tank (half of the tank completly packed). it has been there over a year (I would move some from tank to tank). suddenly it has just died.

I have no idea what has happened. it had 4 tiny feeder fish in there. I am down to 2. I have been changing the water every 10 days or so. I take out about 5 gallons and vacuum the gravel.

The riccia is basically a white color and now it is sinking to the bottom and is tangled up in all my other plants.

Any advise on what to do? I was thinking about changing out 5 gallons of water daily?
should I remove all the dead stuff and put it in a bucket outside to see if it would sprout back in sunlight?

you can try the sunlight idea BUT water change regularly and it may get littered with algae. No idea on why it has died.

Andy

you can try the sunlight idea BUT water change regularly and it may get littered with algae. No idea on why it has died.

Andy
I tried something different.

I vacuumed up everything I could with a siphon monday night. It ended up being a 10 gallon water change. I only did this once.
I sandwiched the dead riccia between 2 of those needle point craft circle things with the holes in it, and sunk it to the bottom held down with rocks.
yesterday I noticed a few pieces of green riccia poking through. Hopefully it will recover well, then I can remove the needle craft plates and remove all the dead riccia, and move the live stuff onto some rocks.

I also started running an air stone at night.

I put some dead riccia in a 10 gallon outside in the sun. I used 2/3 the water change water, 1/3 and new water. I will see what way works better

Having you been dosing excel lately? It kills riccia sometimes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back