Rex The Flowerhorn

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I asked the guy I bought him from and he said the mouth thing isn't uncommon and can come from pushing against the glass or an object too much. We have a mirror for him which my dad might have overused while I was in Canada I think. I'm thinking about switching him and the ranchus since they're in the 129g and Rex seems like he needs more room since he's grown so much.

I asked the guy I bought him from and he said the mouth thing isn't uncommon and can come from pushing against the glass or an object too much. We have a mirror for him which my dad might have overused while I was in Canada I think. I'm thinking about switching him and the ranchus since they're in the 129g and Rex seems like he needs more room since he's grown so much.

I don't believe in this theory. I rather think it is genetic.

How did it manage to burn itself on the heater? Did it get stuck? Never seen that before and they don't get really hot under water usually (at least the ones I have been using).

Yeah, deformed mouths are a common side affect of inbreeding. I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

I don't believe in this theory. I rather think it is genetic.

How did it manage to burn itself on the heater? Did it get stuck? Never seen that before and they don't get really hot under water usually (at least the ones I have been using).
I mean, his mouth wasn't like this before I left. I had him 3-4 months before I left and then was gone for 3 months.

I don't think they have a lot of feeling on their koks, and when I first got him he would sit directly underneath the heater. I didn't have the heater guard on it yet. I don't know what else it could have been besides a burn.

I agree with hobby5, I reckon it's genetic (the mouth thing), but hopefully it isn't. Rex is a very nice fish by the way.
Thank you, as long as he is healthy and eating I don't mind too much.

Yeah, deformed mouths are a common side affect of inbreeding. I don't think there's anything you can do about it.
Are most FH inbred? I barely know anything about how they're bred, but I trust where I got him from.

No idea if flowerhorns are usually inbred or not. So not much can add to that nor much about

Though I think moving Rex to the 129g is a good idea as I have always thought a minimum of 75gal would be best for Flowerhorns due to their size and nature.

Strictly speaking its the dimensions of the tank thats more important than the actual water volume though of course Ninj knows.

Wonder how Rex is now and if the burn / bump has receded more?

Oh boy it's been a while. I did move Rex to the 129 gallon quite a while ago, the bump remained though. This is the most recent picture I have, he looks much darker I believe due to the black sand/black background but he has more space. :)

DETJDfd.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back