Rex The Flowerhorn

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Finally getting a fish I've wanted for a while. I saw one a few years ago I really liked but was not able to get it..this one is even better and thankfully dad was okay with setting up a new tank for him
smile.png

I thought it would be good to have him in his own journal since I don't see flowerhorns on here much at all.
I had to get him put on hold since I was out of the country for a few months.

I'm not sure why these pictures are so huge, perhaps because it's imgur. Photobucket is too much of a pain to use anymore.

He'll be in a 40g breeder until he gets bigger and hopefully will be able to upgrade him to at least a 75g.

Here is the tank, still cycling. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Appreciate any suggestions on better placement for the decor although I like it a lot as it is.
RaBJqsI.jpg

First pic seller posted of him, before I saw him actually. I went back and found this afterwards.
BbECCBR.jpg

More pics after he settled in and updates from the seller..he's had really great customer service
smile.png

c3rJthj.jpg

fKS0Wfz.jpg

gdxQo2t.jpg

KHiB04P.jpg

fbmFkKy.jpg

EBvoNBK.jpg

8wOSOO0.jpg

The seller moved him to a different tank with a blue background for me to see how/if he would change colors, as FH usually darken up with darker backgrounds apparently and I was worried.
qnvAC5b.jpg

BUymXck.jpg

2LT8TKa.jpg

He's held his colors just fine so no worries over the background
smile.png
I'd post videos of him but no idea how since they were sent through FB messenger.
I will definitely post more pics and youtube videos of him once the tank is cycled and I get him in there.

Just lovely :nod:

I am looking foward to seeing this FH in his new home once tank is cycled. Lots of pics is mandatory :p

Good luck for a nice fast fishless cycle!

Thanks guys. He came in on thursday so these pictures are from then, he has colored up a bit more since then but havn't taken any more pics yet.
I dislike using imgur due to how huge the pictures are but photobucket is just awful.
sad.png

SvmZnPm.jpg

bSb4LnG.jpg

I love this picture, looks like he's saying hi
laugh.png

PGrMXKQ.jpg

8GcgxKF.jpg

opFCo0O.jpg

vwNpwZD.jpg

OWe2aTc.jpg

kp9bhvZ.jpg

Suyq1jF.jpg

qkvqs2p.jpg

2K3rHMx.jpg

BROThu6.jpg

jI1Lt1B.jpg

JzKuoEO.jpg

At first he was pretty skiddish but he's starting to warm up to me and knows that I bring food
smile.png
 I'll probably take more pics on thursday since it will have been a week.

:wub: Me too. Unfortunately not ready to do pics right now, yesterday he burned himself on the heater :( I've ordered a heater guard, hopefully he heals quickly.

His burn is looking better every day, here's a little video. More to show how fast and interactive he is rather than the burn though. He's so cute :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE5Xc8cdwg

Ah, hope that burn heals quickly. he's a juvie and looks pretty healthy so should be ok.

These heater guards are worth it imho. So it is worth getting.

Lovely active FH with a personality , laughed when he had a snap at your finger in the vid :lol:

Thank you, I do too. He looks better each day and is quite active, colorful, and eats well so I'm sure he will do just fine.

The heater guard will be here between July 19th and August 4th if I'm remembering right, hopefully he doesn't hurt himself again before then.
I watched him the other night sitting under the heater and staring up at it and pressing his head against it, no wonder he got burned, silly thing. I'm wondering if he notices his reflection or something in it.

He was actually very gentle there
laugh.png
When I was vacuuming the substrate he was a lot more aggressive.
I was able to hand feed him this morning and he got a hold of my finger, stung for a second. He has sharp little teeth
tongue2.gif

I did take some pics of his burn, just was hesitant about sharing before. I'll put them in spoilers in case they gross anyone out.

When I first noticed he had something wrong.
3jKu2cC.jpg

You can see his teeth here and some of the burn.
8DBFviN.jpg

Burn darkening up
ylXscJ4.jpg

Burn peeling
ra4jU9S.jpg

This one and the ones above were the day of the burn, and within the span of about 30 mins to an hour. It happened fast and scared me quite a lot.
paG8z3m.jpg

2 days later
tHoI12P.jpg

And then another 2 days later
ZW95GzM.jpg

Thought I would post an update on Rex. His head has healed, sort of..I'm not sure why it's doing what it's doing though.
iTdokGO.jpg

W5WxoOv.jpg

bt68OXT.jpg

name him bubble head now instead of rex lol
just kidding rex is a nice name
smile.png

also beautiful fish! and nice tank setup, do FH's eat plants?

Rex is looking good, Ninj
wink.png

BettaBettas said:

Flowerhorns do like to dig through the substrate to get to the tank bottom and therefore uproots the planting and they also like to eat plants.

So its very unlikely you'll ever get a nice live plant aquascape
laugh.png

BettaBettas said:
name him bubble head now instead of rex lol
just kidding rex is a nice name
smile.png

Haha. Thank you! And yeah..what Ch4rlie said
laugh.png

Ch4rlie said:
Rex is looking good, Ninj
wink.png

Flowerhorns do like to dig through the substrate to get to the tank bottom and therefore uproots the planting and they also like to eat plants.

So its very unlikely you'll ever get a nice live plant aquascape
laugh.png
Thank you
smile.png
I showed these pics to the person I got him from and he said he's never seen this sort of thing happen, usually it just heals, not form a bump. He's going to ask the breeder about it.

It's been a while. That bump on his head never went away, and the breeder had never seen anything like it either. I went to Canada again for 3 months, came back and I didn't realize just how much he'd grown til I took pictures today and compared to his old ones. I lost my camera so I'm having to use my dads. I can't get imgur to work but uploading files seems to work now..I don't know how to make the [/IMG] thing go away :/

*Edit* I wanted to add that he does often re-decorate the tank, it's normal right now cause I just did a W/C yesterday and moved everything back :p I've noticed since coming back that he cannot fully close his mouth. It seems to affect the size food he can eat. I'm not sure what to do there, I may need to make a post on it. :(

Rex26.JPG

Rex27.JPG

Rex28.JPG

jNRCddB.jpg
[/IMG]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back