Returning to tropical

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

doctorjones

Reaction score
Evening all...
Returning to the hobby after a few years break. I've had a couple of marine tanks, a 2ft cube, and a Rio 240 in the past, mostly for coral... previously had many different small tropical setups too.
So, now I've bought a sumped Cleair 380 litre (approx 3ft x 3ft x 2ft) and can't wait to get it filled. Although it'll be tropical, I'm going for the reef look... bought a stack of excellent looking resin fake live rock and it'll be a sandy base too. I've no plans on what fish exactly yet... would be interested to hear all your thoughts
I'll no doubt have a huge ship wreck decor in there too..
Cheers Stu

20171003_191154.jpg
20171003_191225.jpg

Well this is the tank... strictly it's a room divider tank, it won't be staying there though next to the window

hi and welcome.

even although this i a cool idea why not just do a marine tank again. or if you are going tropical go full out,

It was far too laborious lol... not to mention the cost. We spent £1000's on the last one and it was taking up so much time. I'm keeping this one simple... not too many fish, and mainly smaller ones I think. I considered Cichlids but I'm not over keen really.
All filter media will be in the sump, and I'm considering putting most plants in there too under separate lighting

aah sp you want the saltwater look without the load of maintenance.

My suggestion is to decide on the fish before you aquascape. Freshwater fish come from differing habitats, and providing a replica of those habitats is necessary if healthy fish are the goal. This "natural" doesn't have to be exact, it can be replicating the aspects of the natural habitat that the fish "expect." This is programmed into their DNA, so we need to recognize it and provide similar.

As one example, you mention rock but many freshwater fish do not see rock ever, but they often have a lot of wood (branches, logs, tree trunks, roots) so something that provides these is what you want. Real wood or fake doesn't matter usually (some fish like pleco do need real wood in their diet), so long as the effect is replicated.

Light is almost always very dim for forest fish, so floating plants are a good idea. The lower tank can have live plants, fake plants, or just lots of wood (real or fake) branches, all authentic habitat decor.

Another aspect in freshwater than doesn't enter into marine fish tanks are differing water parameters. Marine fish all have the same water parameters for the most part. But freshwater fish species have each evolved to function best in very specific parameters. Knowing your tap water parameters makes suggesting fish much easier; fish that thrive in your water parameters will be much easier than having to adjust parameters.

Byron.

Thanks for your reply Byron, I completely understand and agree... but with this tank I think I would rather have this rocky decor and be limited on which fish I could have than a planted/wooded look... it's just not my kind of look unfortunately. There will be 'some plants low down, but probably no more than 5 or 6. I'm not sure yet wether to have real or fake (I've never been very lucky keeping live plants lol)
I haven't measured any water params just yet, the tank won't be wet for another week or so either

Yes Sean... low maintenance and automated as possible

Thanks for your reply Byron, I completely understand and agree... but with this tank I think I would rather have this rocky decor and be limited on which fish I could have than a planted/wooded look... it's just not my kind of look unfortunately. There will be 'some plants low down, but probably no more than 5 or 6. I'm not sure yet wether to have real or fake (I've never been very lucky keeping live plants lol)
I haven't measured any water params just yet, the tank won't be wet for another week or so either

I didn't mean to be suggesting something, just used that as the obvious example.

For water params, check the website of your municipal water authority; you should be able to find the GH, KH and maybe pH, and this is what you need to know before looking at fish.

one could go for the mangrove look. do live plants. lots of wood. while still keeping with the ocean theme

Here's where I'm at.... just filled and checking for leaks lol. (Excuse the poor pics) I need a blue background
Adding some live plants at the weekend... probably

received_10155112338463412.jpeg
received_10155112338623412.jpeg
received_10155112338718412.jpeg
received_10155112338843412.jpeg

might i suggest plants that look like ocean plants.

narrow leaf chain sword or anacharis looks very similar to certain sea-grass or seaweed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back