Returning to tropical fish after 15 years!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cotterill666

Reaction score
Hi, i am returning to keeping tropical fish after a 15 year hiatus. I used to keep a 4 foot community tank back in the day but am limited to space now. I currently have a 30 litre Biorb Life tank, reasonably planted plus moss balls and a pre soaked peice of Mopani wood. I have 6 yellow Platy's who seem to be doing well.

Lee
Nottingham

Welcome to the forum, Lee :)

Sorry to reply to your first post with a negative, but a 30l tank is too small for full grown platies. They'll be all right for a few weeks, as they're still juveniles, but I'm afraid you will have to think about rehoming them to a larger tank in the near future, or their long term health will be compromised.

On another note; do you know if your tank is cycled? Do you have test kits for ammonia and nitrite? Do you know the pH and hardness of your water? Platies, like most other livebearers do need hard water to thrive; if yours is soft, they will struggle.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with too much information; fishkeeping has come a very, very long way in the last ten years or so, but we're all here to help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back