Restarting After Camalanus Worms

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I have posted the story before but just a little background.  I bought a new male guppy (who is struggling right now, probably die soon) and he brought worms into my tank.  I thought it was just poop and it was gone the next day (just hidden inside).  Anywho..... my whole tank has been infected.  Hopefully my guppy fry are ok and I can raise them.  But I want to start breeding different mollies.

What do I need to do to clean my tank? 

Camalanus worms drop eggs onto the substrate which are picked up by other fish, they can also land on plants rock etc, you would need to totally strip the tank, throwing away all substrate, scrub the plants rocks etc in really hot water, the same with the filter just in case any have gone inside and totally re-start the tank from scratch. I dont know if you can get it in the states but there is an excellent medication called sera nemotol which is highly affective at treating camalanus worms.

Camalanus Worms are one of these parasites that disperses eggs everywhere, on substrate, decor, plants and even the filter!

If you were to add new fish to your tank without cleaning thoroughly and disposing of substrate, and/or treatments, the new fish will eat or pick up these eggs and before you know it, you'll have another outbreak.

Have heard Levamisole is good for treating Camalanus Worms

The problem is I have no idea how to get ahold of it. I know that I need to clean super well, but I won't have to get rid if anything? And will the eggs die if they are dried out?

Been there and done it..

Only med that work is sera nematol . Do it twice.

No need to clean the tank at all just keep the temp high and eggs will hatch and die..

Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Back