resealing tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

oranda

Reaction score
Hello! Wasn't really certain where to post this. Hopefully this is the right place!

I emptied my old 55 gallon a couple of years ago but have decided to put it back into use. When checking it out yesterday, I noticed some of the sealant along the sides is peeling. I'm going to try to reseal it, but I've never done this before.
The bottom sealant still looks tight, it's just a few spots on the sides. Can I just redo just the sides, or do I need to do it all? I know new sealant won't adhere to what is already cured, so I wasn't certain if I could leave the old in some places, or if it all has to go. Last thing I want is to think it's okay and then have it develop a major leak when I'm not home. Visions of 55 gallons of water and fish on the floor isn't pleasant.

Also, if I have to do the entire tank, does anyone know how many ounces of sealant would be needed?

Hi Oranda,
The best thing you can do is remove all the old silicone with a box cutter or similar knife. Afterwards clean the sides with acetone to remove any remaining silicone. Be careful not to apply to much so that you don't dissolve the silicone between the seams (that's what keeps the tank in the right shape). After the acetone dries simply add silicone to each seam then flatten it out with your finger. As for how much you need, I'd say about one ounce per foot but maybe someone with some more experience can help you. Here's a very informative video that explains everything a bit more in detail:

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

You really have to redo all of it, the sealing that is. I actually have rebuilt a 55 myself. I suggest buying a scraper type of razor blade, not a box knife. That way you can get a very small holder that will definitely help hold the blade. Plus...lots of blades! Now....my tank had been redone once before I believe(bought it used) so maybe that's why I had trouble. Hopefully it will be easier for you! Good luck with this!

Ps- the king of diy is amazing! I followed his instructions on the tank plus building a stand! One day I will finish and get my tank going! Lol.

You really have to redo all of it, the sealing that is. I actually have rebuilt a 55 myself. I suggest buying a scraper type of razor blade, not a box knife. That way you can get a very small holder that will definitely help hold the blade. Plus...lots of blades! Now....my tank had been redone once before I believe(bought it used) so maybe that's why I had trouble. Hopefully it will be easier for you! Good luck with this!

Ps- the king of diy is amazing! I followed his instructions on the tank plus building a stand! One day I will finish and get my tank going! Lol.
He is fantastic, his video on building a stand saved me a lot of money.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back