Resealing a 55 Gallon aquarium....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One of the employees at my LFS was telling me that a seam break is extremely bad and not really resealable because those seams are done in a pressurized system.

Well, not fully trusting my LFS I decided to come here and ask.

Is it possible to reseal a seam on a tank? Is it worth doing it? Has anyone done it?

yea i have done it, just make sure u get the right silicon. I did it about 3 times just to be safe,
1. Clean the area with turps
2.dryed it
3.put the silicon in, making sure tank corner is square
4.let it dry for a week, then repeated steps 3 and 4 another 2 times, and its all good

depends on if the tank is glass or acryllic. glass are pretty easy to repair. see the pinned topic at the top of this forum.

silly me - it may hold for a bit, but keep an eye on it. filling it so soon after repairing, the silicone has not had a chance to fully cure.could be dry to the touch, but underneath the top layer it is still wet.

I was told as long as I seal from the inside the pressure will force the silicone into the leak.. I sealed the tank about a year ago.. its still holding..

We sealed ours and waited 48hours like it said on it,seems ok now. :thumbs:

Well, then I will do it. Did you use All-Glass sealer or did you use Silicone 1?

Also, I'm going to build the stand for it, instead of using the top/bottom and put styrofoam between the bottom and the stand to help take the weight off the bottom of the glass.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back