Rescued Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AllNighter

Reaction score
So, weird day today. Some guy was arrested for abusing animals (he was breeding and selling) and so he was living in this rent house, ok? So, due to a friendly connection of mine, I was invited to help get these animals out of there, and there were a LOT, and there was a truly incredible variety. Including some which I believe aren't legal to own (at least in this country maybe?) o.0

So anyway, I found a 50 gal. tank FULL of young Betta, most of which were dead, but I got 5 out alive, two of which still live. They are in HORRIBLE condition, one is so messed up that I don't know what he is, but I one of them looks like it might be a Butterfly, so the other probably is too. Both of them have so little of their fins left, it's pitiful. Neither of them LOOK like they are going to make it, but they are both acting pretty good now that I've fed them and got them in clean, warm water. I really wish I had a way to show you pics, but I don't.

Anyways, any advice on getting these two back to health? I'd really hate to lose them. :( (Also, I'll probably keep track of their progress here)

Hi

My advice is lots of clean water and feed them a good quality pellet.

Where are they housed? are they still in the same tank?

You could take a photo with your phone and upload it.

Hi

My advice is lots of clean water and feed them a good quality pellet.

Where are they housed? are they still in the same tank?

You could take a photo with your phone and upload it.

Yes sir! Do you recommend a brand, by the way? I think the one I'm using right now with my Crowntail may be too big, but then again, his jaw doesn't open all the way... anyway, I'd like to know if there's one you think is especially good. I'm a top-quality kind of gal! XD

No, they are currently in two small tanks, a 2 gal. and a 1.5, they will get an upgrade once I'm more certain that they will live.

The issue with photos is that this crummy laptop of mine has no ports, and that my phone is a good ol' flip phone.

Hi

I feed my Bettas, New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets and Atisons Betta Pro.

No, they are currently in two small tanks, a 2 gal. and a 1.5
I assume these tanks are not cycled? If no you will need to keep a close eye on water parameters and do daily 50% water changes, Do you have any water conditioner? In your case I would suggest Seachem prime.
Have the tanks got heaters?
Have they got filters? if they do make sure the current is as weak as possible.

Hi

I feed my Bettas, New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets and Atisons Betta Pro.

I assume these tanks are not cycled? If no you will need to keep a close eye on water parameters and do daily 50% water changes, Do you have any water conditioner? In your case I would suggest Seachem prime.
Have the tanks got heaters?
Have they got filters? if they do make sure the current is as weak as possible.

No, they are not cycled, and I will definitely be doing the water changes.
Right now I'm using Aqua Safe, but I know where I can get that.
The tanks do have heaters, I'm keeping it at 80.F
They do not have filters, I thought it would be better to keep them in still water for a while.

I thought it would be better to keep them in still water for a while.
As long as you keep the water clean by doing daily water changes its fine.

Right now I'm using Aqua Safe,

Aqua safe is good no need to change.

As long as you keep the water clean by doing daily water changes its fine.

Aqua safe is good no need to change.

Yes sir! And okay! Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted on their condition!

:fish:UPDATE! :fish:
Both Betta are doing just fine! Both eating well, and fairly active. Already some decent fin growth on one, and I believe I was right to assume it was a Butterfly. Colors are improving all the time, and they are turning out to be rather pretty! I think my Vivid is jealous of all the attention though! :lol:

Hi

Good to hear they are doing well, I would love to see photos one day. Its the price for my help LOL.

Oh and please don't call me sir, when you do that I think you are talking to my father LOL.

I can promise I will find a way to get you some pictures! Eventually!

LOL, I'll try not to!

:fish:UPDATE!:fish:

The two boys are doing great! Water Changes and some stress coat are doing wonders! They are both recovering SO much better than I expected, and one of them now has a name! The one I thought was a Butterfly is white with black spots, so I'm calling him Moon! So now I'm not sure what he is, and still don't know what the other one is yet either... but he's beginning to show some green iridescence, I think he's going to turn out to be gorgeous! His recovery doesn't seem to be as rapid as Moon's though.
Everything I researched on the internet led me to believe this was going to be a recovery of around a year, but I guess because the damage was still fairly recent when I got them??

Anyway, also, I hope to be getting a new phone in the upcoming weeks, so I should be able to share some pictures soon! And I'm SO eager to show them off!

Last edited:
I am a bit sad right now though, Vivid, my little Crowntail, died today. I don't have an exact cause, but his health has always been poor, ever since the day I rescued him from Wal-mart. I don't have the heart yet to start prepping his tank for new inhabitants... :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back