Rescued Abandoned Chicken

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
Ok, before you think I am nuts, let me explain the situation. I live in North Providence RI, a suburban town with out any farm land. 

Our nightmare neighbors behind us, who we unfortunately have a poor relationship with due to lots of other circumstances, got chickens near the beginning of the summer. (Early May-ish).  He built a rather impressive looking cook and seemed to have about 4-6 hens from what we saw over the fence.   We didn't mind as I thought they were actually cute, quiet, and never smelled. 

A couple weeks ago he dismantled the coop but the chickens were still in his back yard. We figured he was scraping it to build a new one. 

My husband and I went away this past weekend (Fri - Sun). My cousin came over those days to give our cat his twice daily thyroid medication, and was greeted Friday evening by a chicken on our front lawn.   She called me and I told her to ring the doorbell for our neighbors but they never answered. She waited an hour but they didn't come home.  She tried again twice Sat and Sunday morning before we got back from out mini vacation.    They still haven't come home.   Yesterday evening, (Sunday), we pulled up from our vacation and she came walking over as we were unloading our trunk. I lead the chicken into our backyard and gated her in so she wouldn't get run over or come across a dog.  She was quite thirsty, I do not know where she has been finding water since Friday as it hasn't rained and my cousin said that the chicken was in our garden every time she came over.   I left a voicemail and an email for animal control explaining our situation.

Animal control came by today to check the chicken and informed me that keeping chickens is illegal in our town.  They left a notice on our neighbors front door. He went in the back yard and found that all the chickens, coop, coop material and feed were gone. He was going to give them a few days asked if I minded keeping the chicken in our fenced in back yard as our town isn't equipped to house chickens at the animal shelter and he didn't want to lock her into a metal cage near cats and dogs.  He wanted to get them to admit ownership before finding a permanent home.  

I told him that was fine and that I had offers from coworkers in nearby towns with out bans no livestock/chickens to take her in for a permanent home.  He said that if I could house her for a few days while they tried to reach the neighbors then I would be able to rehome her. 

I went online last night and found a line on what to feed chickens and made her a mix of chopped carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, raisins, bits of bread, and cheerios.  In a separate dish I also put in a teaspoon amount of plain yogurt.   (This is what I had fresh in the house from being away. )    I let her nibble the yogurt for a couple minutes then took it away and let her have the rest.  I have had trouble locating a chicken feed that I can use for her in our local pet stores.  They all look at me like I am crazy!  

She is quite friendly and follows me around the yard clucking at me and pecking at my rain boots (learned to put on boots after she showed a lot of interest in my feet when wearing sandals!) I have shade over about 1/3 of the back yard and it is in the mid 80*s and quite humid today.   I misted the ground in one corner of the yard in case she preferred slightly damp grass and ground to scratch in.  I have seen her scratching through out the day and eating bugs - my husband is approving of this lol. 

Again, she is not going to be with me for more than a few days but I want to make sure those are a healthy and stress free few days!

Greeting us at the car...
143.jpg

144.jpg

Entering my back yard like she lives here
148.jpg

Food!!
152.jpg

Caught the cat's attention! Don't worry, they are all indoor cats!
170.jpg

Thinks she owns the place
179.jpg

180.jpg

183.jpg

014-1.jpg

I'm glad she's going to be able to go to a good home! Adorable :)

Thank you!  She has certainly been making the past couple of days interesting! 

i rescued 3 chickens from a building site about 3 months ago ,they were underweight ,feathers missing and were covered in mites
luckily i have loads of land so i now have 3 free range very healthy chickens who are so funny and loyal too (if you have food)
its lovely to hear of someone else doing a good deed,hope they enjoy their new home

I have 5 hens, 3 roadies and 2 bantams. Not like people think at all, cracking personalities.
And food wise they love yogurt, garlic bread, and meal worms as treats, I use those things to coax them into their coop after they have been free in the garden and I want to put them away. Greedy beggars.
They free range 80% of the time, I love to see them chasing flies to eat, very fast animals with eye sight 10 times better than a human. They eat the slugs and snails from my veggie plot, but also the veggies lol. They eat lots of grass and get moisture from it, but water is very important to them (as all life forms) so a dish of water out is a good idea, be aware they will tip it over so check 3-4 times a day and refill. Dedicated water pots are better but if it's only for a few days not worth buying one.

So how long before you have your own??? ;)

ow cool me and my brother have also found found a stray chicken in our town and when we caught her she was in a realy bad way.

Shame you're so far away. I'd love to take her off your hands!
smile.png
Glad she'll be able to go to a new home soon though! She looks like a young Rhode Island Red girl.

Lucky girl :) We're chicken keepers ourselves, and our girls have been a  fantastic source of entertainment over the years. Too bad you can't keep her. She'd keep your yard bug free :)

so happy to know the chicken have new home. I have pet chick in my home when small. It really make me happy!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back