Rescue Betta and Fin Rot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hhall5

Reaction score
I recently bought a new betta from the dreaded Walmart. His antiseptic water had faded from bright blue to clear, he had absolutely no food, and it appeared that he has a pretty terrible case of fin rot. I've had many happy and healthy bettas and when I saw his condition it broke my heart to see him hidden on a back shelf and I had to take him home. He is in an 1gl bowl now until some healing and inflammation goes down because I am doing daily water changes plus adding betta fix to his water. Can anyone give me pointers on how to handle this? I haven't had a case this bad and I am so hopeful for this little guy because he deserves so much better. I apologize for the dim lighting in the newest picture but his red inflammation has gone down a bit already and he is starting to flare fins. Thank you for any support. When could I expect to see a noticeable regrowth? Also he will be added to a larger heated tank once his treatment is over, he also hasn't developed much of an appetite yet, could this be from the betta fix?

Attachments

• Betta .jpg
    Betta .jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Picture of Betta .jpg
    Picture of Betta .jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 337
I recently bought a new betta from the dreaded Walmart. His antiseptic water had faded from bright blue to clear, he had absolutely no food, and it appeared that he has a pretty terrible case of fin rot. I've had many happy and healthy bettas and when I saw his condition it broke my heart to see him hidden on a back shelf and I had to take him home. He is in an 1gl bowl now until some healing and inflammation goes down because I am doing daily water changes plus adding betta fix to his water. Can anyone give me pointers on how to handle this? I haven't had a case this bad and I am so hopeful for this little guy because he deserves so much better. I apologize for the dim lighting in the newest picture but his red inflammation has gone down a bit already and he is starting to flare fins. Thank you for any support. When could I expect to see a noticeable regrowth? Also he will be added to a larger heated tank once his treatment is over, he also hasn't developed much of an appetite yet, could this be from the betta fix?
Thats a shame they allow such a lovely fish to suffer like that. It was kind of you to try and help the fella. He still looks like he has some spunk, best of luck!

Is your other tank filtered as well? He'd be better off in a proper tank with a heater anyway; he'll get better quicker if he doesn't have to deal with temperature fluctuations as well; is there any reason he can't go in there now?

He doesn't look too bad (although fish can be very good at not showing how sick they are); he looks like he might be crowntail? If he is, the fins aren't as bad as they might look to you, if you're not sure what a crowntail looks like :) He might well pull through. I wouldn't worry too much about him eating yet; he'll need time to settle and start feeling a bit better.

The fins should start to grow back in a couple of weeks, once he's got over the fin rot. I'd recommend a proper fin rot medication instead of Bettafix as well, if the rot doesn't stop within the next day or two.

But peace and quiet and good, clean water are the best medicines. Good luck with him, he's very cute, I can see why you couldn't leave him, poor little chap x

hi i know this is a bit irrelevant but im so glad to hear of people like you. thank you you made my day.

Is your other tank filtered as well? He'd be better off in a proper tank with a heater anyway; he'll get better quicker if he doesn't have to deal with temperature fluctuations as well; is there any reason he can't go in there now?

He doesn't look too bad (although fish can be very good at not showing how sick they are); he looks like he might be crowntail? If he is, the fins aren't as bad as they might look to you, if you're not sure what a crowntail looks like :) He might well pull through. I wouldn't worry too much about him eating yet; he'll need time to settle and start feeling a bit better.

The fins should start to grow back in a couple of weeks, once he's got over the fin rot. I'd recommend a proper fin rot medication instead of Bettafix as well, if the rot doesn't stop within the next day or two.

But peace and quiet and good, clean water are the best medicines. Good luck with him, he's very cute, I can see why you couldn't leave him, poor little chap x

This is him now! He’s in a 5gallon filtered tank with a heater but his fins still haven’t grown a ton since treatment we are doing salt baths now— does this look like typical fun rot to you? I’ve never had to deal with it to this extent before. Thank you!

Attachments

• 31E1EC0C-1F4B-4F06-989C-A91A578E3BAF.jpeg
    31E1EC0C-1F4B-4F06-989C-A91A578E3BAF.jpeg
    991.3 KB · Views: 262
we are doing salt baths now
I would stop with salt baths, They are not needed all you need is lots of clean warm treated water.

If you want to add something that will help the fish try Indian Almond leaf.
Is it true that Indian almond leaves prevent and cure diseases in aquariums?
Indian almond leaves are rich in compounds produces by the tree to protect itself against bacteria, fungi and similar organisms. Because of this, it has been speculated that adding Indian almond leaves to an aquarium will decrease the risk of disease in the tank or even help fish. As far as I know, no one has yet carried out any scientific study to verify this claim. Compounds found in Indian almond leaves have however been researched for their potential health benefits for the human body. Quercetin, a type of flavonoid found in Indian almond leaves, is for instance considered anti-inflammatory and has antioxidant properties1 , while several other flavonoids present in these leaves – such as kaempferol – decrease the risk of developing certain types of cancer.[2 ][3 ]
http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/aquariums.php

Be warned, it will make your water yellow.

If you don't want the yellow water but still want IAL try Easy-Life Catappa-X

https://www.easylife.eu/products/freshwater/water-conditioner/catappa-x

Just an update! His fins have completely grown back! Definitely an aggressive case of fin rot

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back