Removing Hair Algae (Black Beard Algae)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Can I please get some help. I put up other posts about this and noone is helping me. 

I can't find dual T8 fixtures anywhere. I'm considering going with a T5 single bulb.

Also for the incandescent, how did you get them in a fixture? Like did you use a desk lamp or what? I tried putting my CFL's in a desk lamp but it just blew out and they don't work now.

Getting T8 fixtures is not easy these days.  I have only the past few weeks been going through this.  A single T5 fluorescent tube would work, much the same as two T8 tubes (same length).  Remember these are different fixtures and the tubes are not interchangeable.

As for the desk lamp issue, it is likely the bulbs required in the desk lamp are special.  Or something along this line.  I use regular incandescent aquarium hoods over my two tanks that use CFL screw-in bulbs.  These work very well on the smaller tanks, up to 20g high.

Ok I just wanted to use the incandescent for my 2.5 gallon. I'll continue looking for a lower powered lamp, as I think the higher powered ones are blowing out the bulb. (I have no idea why)

And like I said I can't find a single T5 anywhere. Only dual T5's. I am in the US so this shouldn't be hard.

BTW I don't know if you heard, I thought I might as well say this but imperial tropicals is doing a deal on fish only until midnight tonight. 2 more hours... it's a buy 1 get 2 free on a selection of 40 fish. Rainbow fish, tetras, livebearers, cichlids, 3 species of plecos. Just thought I would let you know. It's ending tonight though.

Byron said:
Getting T8 fixtures is not easy these days.  I have only the past few weeks been going through this.  A single T5 fluorescent tube would work, much the same as two T8 tubes (same length).  Remember these are different fixtures and the tubes are not interchangeable.

As for the desk lamp issue, it is likely the bulbs required in the desk lamp are special.  Or something along this line.  I use regular incandescent aquarium hoods over my two tanks that use CFL screw-in bulbs.  These work very well on the smaller tanks, up to 20g high.
 Could you at least reply????

Would this work for my 20 L: http://www.htgsupply.com/products/growbright-2-foot-1-lamp-high-output-t5

It's only 2 feet and the tank is 30 inches long so the light will be a bit shorter- is that fine?

A response would really be nice. For the past week of me waiting for your response I've lost lots of plants. I came here for help. I probably have replied on this thread more than other people on this "HELP" forum.

For my 2.5 gallon I can't find a fixture that I can put an ordinary CFL bulb in. 
I found this one, is it a T5? http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_72&products_id=1225

Could you at least reply????

Would this work for my 20 L: http://www.htgsupply...-high-output-t5

It's only 2 feet and the tank is 30 inches long so the light will be a bit shorter- is that fine?

A response would really be nice. For the past week of me waiting for your response I've lost lots of plants. I came here for help. I probably have replied on this thread more than other people on this "HELP" forum.

I didn't make myself clear obviously...I have no idea where you can get these.  As I said, I have been trying myself.  Though in the USA they are more likely to be available than for me in Canada.  I got a dual T8 36-inch for my 40g because one store had two of these left on the shelf from years ago, and hopefully it will not be too much.  But tracking down T8 fixtures is not easy these days.

I assume others must be reading this thread and could comment...?

The linked T5 would work well as light.  You might have to make some form of holding apparatus so the light doesn't sit down on the glass.  The light fixture must rest on the tank frame.

For my 2.5 gallon I can't find a fixture that I can put an ordinary CFL bulb in. 

I found this one, is it a T5? http://www.catalinaa...roducts_id=1225

This link is probably a T8.  I surmise this because 24-inch tubes in 20w is standard T8 (some are coming out now in 17w) and T5 would be higher.

Okay thank you. but about the 2.5 gallon, I am using sunlight now, the plants are doing terrible and I have a massive algae outbreak. I can't find a lamp th at won't burn out the CFLs. Are the lamps too powerful? On the package for the bulb it says 60W replacement only using 13w. I am using a 60w lamp, should I use a 13w? If thats possible? 

cooledwhip said:
Okay thank you. but about the 2.5 gallon, I am using sunlight now, the plants are doing terrible and I have a massive algae outbreak. I can't find a lamp th at won't burn out the CFLs. Are the lamps too powerful? On the package for the bulb it says 60W replacement only using 13w. I am using a 60w lamp, should I use a 13w? If thats possible? 

I really cannot help with this, as I have no idea as to the lamp fixture.  The "60w" max likely refers to the old incandescent bulbs, so presumably smaller wattage bulbs would work, but I am just guessing.

I'm having same problem and it's a very ugly sight.. I've ordered new led lighting and some seachem Flourish to eradicate the problem algae...I'll keep you posted how i get on..

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back