Removal Of Internal Juwel Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
So many people seem to ask this time and time again.
As I've done this, I'll just post my summary here - so that I have an easy reference to refer to.

I have removed my Juwel filter without any problem whatsoever - it took less than 5 minutes
(well not quite, but almost) and I did not have to strip or empty the tank :)

- Make sure all electricity to your tank is off.
- Remove approx 50% of the water (keep this).
- Remove all inner filter sponges & heater (and keep in the 50% water that's been siphoned off; while you remove filter. Take care not to clean the sponges - it's vital to keep as much of the beneficial bateria for your new filter).
- Get yourself a "snap-off-blade" Stanley knife(these work best as you can extend the blade and it's quite flexible).
2286136.JPG

- The Juwel Filters have 4 blobs of 1" silicone on each side attached to the tank (back & left).
- Start with the top front blobs and use the knife in a "sawing" motion to slice through the silicone. Then do the back top blobs.
- Then the bottom front.
- By this time you can almost just gently pull the filter forward, enough to reach the back 2 blobs (side and left).
- Once filter is removed, you can use a (unused or fish dedicated) pot scouring pad to remove any remaining silicone.

Note: Take great care not to let the blade slice into the actual tank seal silicone !

Place all Juwel sponges in new external filter, plug and ply and bob's your uncle :thumbs:

Ps: you can still use your internal Juwel heater - just buy a Heater Guard

My reasons for removing it:

1 - It's very large and unsightly
2 - More importantly it must be one of the most annoying filters to clean and maintain. I found that on my Juwel Vision 180, I had to ensure the filter was checked on a weekly basis and rinse sludge, debris and mulm out or else it would grind to a halt (well not quite but the water flow was extremely poor and I always had particles in the water). I found it quite hard to stick the siphon down those bits at the back right down to the bottom to suck out the gunk. There's a lot of dead space where plant matter etc. just accumulates and rots even though my plants rarely "shed" any leaves etc.
3 - That silly lid design on top is just plain stupid. I've lost a Kuhli loach that got mangled in there (not a nice sight) and two bettas also made there way in there - and all the way down those shafts. The came out a complete mess by the time I discovered where they were. And yes, my water level was correct and yes, the little lid supposedly sat on top correctly.

Sorry, but I'm not a Juwel Filter fan and since I switched to my external Eheim, life's been bliss and the maintenance a dream :wub:

id love an xternal on my 30 gallon, but imply dont have the money for one :(

Bret

Oh and i reckon this should be pinned, so many people have Juwel tanks these days that they want to take the filter out of :)

Bret

I know what you mean Bret I'm getting one soon but it's gonna cost upward of £70 by the looks of it!
I second the pinning this thread very useful. And people definately want to get rid of the juwel filter it was excellent but now I'm getting stocked up on fish it's not really doing it's job!

Sorry, but I'm not a Juwel Filter fan and since I switched to my external Eheim, life's been bliss and the maintenance a dream
@Bloo: can you please tell me which Eheim product you purchased? A link would also be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Sorry, but I'm not a Juwel Filter fan and since I switched to my external Eheim, life's been bliss and the maintenance a dream
@Bloo: can you please tell me which Eheim product you purchased? A link would also be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy
Hi Andy. Sorry I only just saw your question. I used a Eheim 2224 that cost me something like £90 all inclusive. It even came with special spray bar & inlet that would usually cost £30 on their own.

Anyway - there are better ones around these days (the 2224 is no longer made I think, though you can still buy it) and I would suggest something like an Eheim 2026 :good:

If it's a new tank test it for leaks first, which I didn't do, as doing this voids your warranty. And I was very careful, sliced through each blodge of silicon and did not slice the seal (the gap in the seal is near the other end of the tank, but some hope I have).

2 - More importantly it must be one of the most annoying filters to clean and maintain. I found that on my Juwel Vision 180, I had to ensure the filter was checked on a weekly basis and rinse sludge, debris and mulm out or else it would grind to a halt (well not quite but the water flow was extremely poor and I always had particles in the water). I found it quite hard to stick the siphon down those bits at the back right down to the bottom to suck out the gunk. There's a lot of dead space where plant matter etc. just accumulates and rots even though my plants rarely "shed" any leaves etc.
3 - That silly lid design on top is just plain stupid. I've lost a Kuhli loach that got mangled in there (not a nice sight) and two bettas also made there way in there - and all the way down those shafts. The came out a complete mess by the time I discovered where they were. And yes, my water level was correct and yes, the little lid supposedly sat on top correctly.

Sorry, but I'm not a Juwel Filter fan and since I switched to my external Eheim, life's been bliss and the maintenance a dream :wub:

Hi there,

I've just bought a Juwel Rio 180 and am in the process of setting it up. A couple of questions regarding the filter:

Is there a way of stopping fish getting sucked in? I have cardinal tetras and shrimps I want to move into the Rio 180 and don't want to lose them? I have read on here somewhere you can stuff gaps with filter wool and cover other bits with socks? to stop fish getting in?

Also the gap under the internal filter is small. Is it ok to fill it with gravel or does it need to stay empty under the filter to allow for air circulation - I understood from my LFS that the intake is at the top on the side?

anything else I need to bear in mind with this tank and filter/heater set up?

Thanks.

I know this is old but this just helped get that bignugly filter out of my tank! Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back