Rehoming Necessary?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TotallyTropical

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was told a while back that my gourami choice was not the greatest and that I should reconsider it. About four more gouramis later, I realize I might have a small addiction to the little fellas
tongue2.gif

Now I'm wondering, is it really that bad?
Here's what I've got:
-2 Snakeskins (one is a nice 6 inches!
good.gif
)
-2 Blue (three-spot)
-2 Gold (yes, I know, the same species as the blue gouramis)
-1 Flame Dwarf (lost the other to a common dwarf gourami disease, I guess it was to be expected with the way they're raised nowadays)

They all seem to be living quite happily in my 75gal with some platys, zebra danios, black neons, kuhli loaches and a small pleco (I was told it was a breed that stays rather small, but I forget the name of it. So far it has lived up to its "max. size" - I hope it stays that way!) I mean, other than one of the gold or blue gouramis occasionally "shoooing" each other away (no chasing!), they get along pretty well! No nipping or bullying of any kind, and they have beautiful, deep colours.
Do you think I should still reconsider my stocking plan?

It is difficult to predict exactly how a fish will behave, so we can only go by how the species should behave if it is healthy, i.e., the norm for the species..  Fish in an inappropriate environment will be stressed, and then behaviours can be a-skewed, sadly to the fish's detriment.  The expectations and needs programmed into every fish by evolution are not going to change to suit any of us.

The other aspect of this is male and female.  Male gourami are all territorial, much like cichlids.  And like the latter, the degree of their enforcement of what they consider "their space" differs from species to species, and from individual fish to individual fish for various reasons.  If all of your present gourami turn out to be males, I would expect a real challenge in time.  I have known several aquarists who had two or three blue/gold gourami for several months, then literally overnight things changed dramatically.

Expect the norm and be prepared; experiments are perhaps safer if one has the tank space to deal with the issues when/if they arise.  It is certainly kinder to the fish.  
fish.gif

Byron.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind! I have a 10gal quarantine in case things happen to go badly
thumbs-up.gif

I cant believe the dwarf gourami is okay.just goes to show you sometimes.

About four more gouramis later, I realize I might have a small addiction to the little fellas
tongue2.gif
I can understand that,  I love the Lace Gouramis they tend to be a bit more peaceful, I had a male and a female I loved watching them interact, Never any aggression unless she bugged him too much. He would be minding his own business and she would come up behind him and slap him around with her feelers and of course he would chase her, as soon as he lost interest in chasing her she would bug him again, This would go on for hours, Then at other times they would swim around side by side. I miss them.

gmc1 said:
I cant believe the dwarf gourami is okay.just goes to show you sometimes.
He can be a bit shy sometimes, but loves to show off in front of the tank! The others don't seem to notice him.

NickAu said:

About four more gouramis later, I realize I might have a small addiction to the little fellas
tongue2.gif
I can understand that,  I love the Lace Gouramis they tend to be a bit more peaceful, I had a male and a female I loved watching them interact, Never any aggression unless she bugged him too much. He would be minding his own business and she would come up behind him and slap him around with her feelers and of course he would chase her, as soon as he lost interest in chasing her she would bug him again, This would go on for hours, Then at other times they would swim around side by side. I miss them.

I love lace gouramis, they really are lovely. I've definitely hit my limit on gouramis though! Yours sounded like a nice pair, sorry you don't have them anymore
sad.png

Most reactions

Back