Reef Ready vs. Not Reef Ready

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bdr518

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the saltwater side, I've had a couple fresh tanks before, so I know a LITTLE about keeping fish alive, but one thing I'm looking at now is to try my hand at a reef. I see 58g reef ready tanks for sale online, but am wondering the big differences between those and a normal 55g tank. (other than the obvious 3g, and the price.) My friend has a 55g that he's been using for freshwater for sale w/ a stand at a good price, and am wondering if it's worth going with his or worth making the investment for the reef ready.

Well, I suppose the difference is in what you get. You get what you pay for. What does the "reef ready" kit include? What does your friends tank include? Im currently setting up my 65 gallon reef, and the biggest expenses are the 226$ aquac protien skimmer, the 275$ VHO lights, and the return pump (havint picked yet so no price). The tank drilled for overflow was only 120$, So I would say it depends on what you are getting for your money with each.

JJ is right. When i see a tank advertised as reefsafe then it means that its highly likely never had copper in the tank and probably runs with good quality liverock.

Standard marine tanks always makes me ask the question as to whether its been treated with copper at any time in its past. it also means its probably more reliant on mechanical filtration (although not always the case).

Any tank you buy however really needs thourough questions asked about its equipment and history. after all you dont want to be taking on another persons problems. I made that mistake once and purchased a load of liverock only to find it was badly infested with aiptasia :angry: Always ask the right questions and be very picky.

Thanks alot, but another question now. What questions should I ask?

Ok sorry to be so vague with my last post. I have recently talked to someone at a LFS but that left me with some questions I'd like to ask the community, and possibly get an opinion on. As far as the reef tanks go, which is better? The plumbing holes at the bottom w/ an overflow partition, or the outlet valve at the top of the tank serving as an overflow up there? Also the LFS dealer also was telling me that a 1200 gal/min return pum would suffice the water flow for the filtration in the tank or would I still need power heads? All this stuff is so confusing. :-(

most people have a hole frilled in the bottom of the tank, but you can use have holes drilled in the back of the tank at the top but if you do this the pipework would run behind the back of the tank and the whole aquarium would have to be a few inches away from the wall.

You will need additional powerheads, flow is very important

If they are williing to drill the tank for you, then I would have holes for plumbing to your sump drilled underneath, and closed loop holes drilled in the back side. This way all your pumps are on the outside of the tank, and no ugly powerheads on the inside of the tank. What are you planning on keeping?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back