Redtail catfish pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rhys_1992

Reaction score
Hi has anyone successfully done a redtail catfish pond? Would be something I want to do but not sure if it would need to be heated? Just looking for some advice in general or is it easier to just get a big tank for one? Thank you in advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Assuming you mean the species Phractocephalus hemioliopterus, this is a tropical species from South America. As you seem to be in GB, you would need to heat the pond over the winter.

As for an aquarium, this is not a home aquarium fish unless you have a very large tank. This fish will attain up to 1.8 metres (almost 6 feet). This would mean at minimum a tank of 20 feet in length.

Byron.

Yeah I would only be able to fit a tank about 10foot x2 foot hence the pond idea. Ive done a lot of research in to it but cany find a lot of information. I can fit a 10x 10 foot pond at 4 foot deep in the garden and from what I have seen on youtube people have got them in pomds that sort of size. Its only a idea at the minute but something I would be interested in doing. Thanks for the reply

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back