Red Severum Just Lay Eggs But No Male Severum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jckm78

Reaction score
I got couple of fishes, couple of bottom feeders, 3 gourami, and one 4 inch red golden severum.

I notice she was scraping on the pot, I though she was scratching her itch. Then I look closer, to my surprise, she was laying eggs. There were alot of eggs sticking to the pot. I one got one severum, so I know it is a female. I know I need a male to fertilize the eggs. Should I purchase a similar size male severum? How hard it is to pair them? I think the eggs are too late to fertilize and probably have to wait for the next breeding.

Sevs (well my pair) spawn every 10-14 days, from what I have read you need to get a group to get a pair, however I just ended up with a male and female. If you were to get a male try and get one the same size as your female. If the male is larger he may attack your female trying to get her to spawn and being bigger could harm or even kill her, a smaller male may get beaten up by the female as she would prefer a bigger male as they would naturally, its a bit of a catch 22 because even if you get a male the same size being cichlids and funny devils they may not like each other. I would suggest if you did get another male make sure you have a spare tank available to seperate them if needed.

Sevs (well my pair) spawn every 10-14 days, from what I have read you need to get a group to get a pair, however I just ended up with a male and female. If you were to get a male try and get one the same size as your female. If the male is larger he may attack your female trying to get her to spawn and being bigger could harm or even kill her, a smaller male may get beaten up by the female as she would prefer a bigger male as they would naturally, its a bit of a catch 22 because even if you get a male the same size being cichlids and funny devils they may not like each other. I would suggest if you did get another male make sure you have a spare tank available to seperate them if needed.

thanks. I just started raising fish couple of month ago. Seems like it hard to pair them up. I think it will be amazing to see the severum breed. Too bad, B&M petco and petsmart doesn't sell severum. My severum is at least 4 to 5 inches and it is hard to find one that large. Any one know where I can purchase some severum in San Francisco, CA or a good online pet store.

Finding a fish store in San Fran should be easy. I know a few ones in Sac. Look in the yellow pages even check CL I saw some o e in San Fran selling red severums months ago.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back