Red Gill On One Of My Neon Tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fwapp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I hope you can help with what possibly could be a problem.

One of my Neon tetras has an exposed gill, which appears very red. Apart from this he is still active and feeding, living in a shoal of 9. It appears that the gill cover is missing, and could have been removed in a fight or similar.

There were ten but one died recently after a large growth on his gill. It was removed and found that growth was a large white ball,larger than his eye. The neon was 1 month old, to my tank.

I'm concerned that I my have a disease in the tank, and am worried about the other fishes in the tank.

100l tank
Amm 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm - was 130 up until recently, but have started using RO water in the last week, this has also brought the pH down to 7 from 7.5. The reason for using RO water is that my tap water has 50ppm Nitrates!

20% change every week.

2 dwarf gouramis (since tank was built up in Nov'05)
1 Golden Ancistrus (Jan 06)
3 peppered corys (May 06)
2 Kribensis (May 06)
10 Neon Tetras (July 06)

You will have to keep excellent water quality as if he's lost his gill plate infection can set in, can you issolate him as i would treat him with a bacterial med.
Just want to make sure he's not flicking and rubbing on objects or laboured breathing, sounds like the bacterial growth on him was eating away at is gill plate is this correct.

You will have to keep excellent water quality as if he's lost his gill plate infection can set in, can you issolate him as i would treat him with a bacterial med.
Just want to make sure he's not flicking and rubbing on objects or laboured breathing, sounds like the bacterial growth on him was eating away at is gill plate is this correct.

He's not flicking or rubbing, so thats quite positive.

Can you recommend a bacterial med that does'nt affect your filter?

That good just wanted to make sure it wasn't gill flukes, myxazin by waterlife, good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back