Red Devil Newbie

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cheeze33

Reaction score
I have a new tank and i am new to the fish hobby, and i have three Red devils and they seem to be doing fine for now, but i want to keep it that way so i am lookin for any " expertise " i can find from some one who know about them or has had their own so if anybody can help out a rookie it would be deeply appreciated. :D

I have a new tank and i am new to the fish hobby, and i have three Red devils and they seem to be doing fine for now, but i want to keep it that way so i am lookin for any " expertise " i can find from some one who know about them or has had their own so if anybody can help out a rookie it would be deeply appreciated. :D

yup I love the red devils! They are agressive like heck so expect some fights. THey grow huge brown teeth and can inflict a bite if you stick your hand in the tank. You can train them to jump out over the surface to grab worms if they like you enough!

best of luck,
Venom

yup I love the red devils! They are agressive like heck so expect some fights. THey grow huge brown teeth and can inflict a bite if you stick your hand in the tank. You can train them to jump out over the surface to grab worms if they like you enough!

best of luck,
Venom

I have never seen these "huge brown teeth" that you mentioned even on adults.

Anyways, Red Devils are an extremely aggressive fish. Some people find this greatly amusing but it can get old very quickly when you realize that its almost impossible to keep anything with them because of this aggression (especially if they are not kept in a very very large tank). Just for example, I rescued a small red devil (5 inches) from a bad tank and had it in a 55 gallon with two almost full grown oscars (about 10 inchs) temporarily until I could find the red devil a new home. In the course of a couple weeks the red devil had ripped the scales off the sides of both the oscars and had them hiding in the corner of the tank. Luckily I found a new home for the red devil before it could do anymore damage.

Red Devils can be a very interesting pet but realize that you can't keep much with them, especially if you end up with a breeding pair.

I have never seen these "huge brown teeth" that you mentioned even on adults.
My fish has that, though she's some kind of weird midas/RD-bloodparrot hybrid thing.... They show up well on her as she's mostly white. Not sure I'd call them "huge" though ;)

This is when they first started coming in, she has a full set now
DSCN1788.jpg

That's cool have a great fish day. Plus holloween is comming do you think werewolves will come.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back