Red Cyst On Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fonteia

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a little while but have joined today to ask for help. My bristlenose pleco is about 6 years old and has developed a red cyst on his side (see photo). I've just noticed it as he tends to hide a lot, but I don't think it could have been there longer than 3 weeks. Any information or advice would be so helpful. Thanks
Tank size: 150L
pH: near neutral 7 (perhaps slightly acidic)
ammonia: <0.02ppm
tank temp: 26C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
The "cyst" is about 0.5cm at most, red with a white centre, located on the left side of his back behind the top fin. The other side of his body is fine. The cyst sticks out quite a lot. My pleco seems to be behaving normally. It hides most of the time in a decoration, especially when I walk past, and when it is out it is active on the bottom of the tank. Comes out day and night.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
~20% every 4 weeks
Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
I use a sponge and ceramics combination in the filter, which is about 6 months old (an eheim). I also add in some dechlorinator when I change the tank's water.
Tank inhabitants:
6 rummy nose tetras - all OK
6 cherry barbs - all OK
1 pleco (the sick one)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
None
Exposure to chemicals:
None (other than in tank change)

Attachments

• cf.jpg
    cf.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,104
What is your nitrite reading please.

Can you isolate him. If the lump burst it will infect the tank water.
He needs treating with a bacterial medication.
Antibiotic would be my choice but only if you can isolate. As the
antibiotic will wipe your beneifical bacteria out in your tank filter.

Lumps that are red on the outside and white in the centre can be Columnaris.

Information on lumps and bumps.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

Hi Wilder

I don't have a nitrite testing kit, although I will take some water to get tested tomorrow and in the past I have not had a nitrite problem when I have had it tested.

Tonight I've put him into a hospital tank and added some Melafix. By the end of today (before putting in the melafix) I noticed that his gills are now white also, with what looks like an infection (but obviously I am not sure). He has had white coloured gills in the recent past (within the last 6 months) that disappeared with time. In that instance, I tried treating them with melafix at the time too but only in the main tank so perhaps it was not as effective as if he had been in a hospital tank. The white gills were not a fungus. I had actually reached the conclusion in that case that he had injured himself trying to squeeze into one of the decorations and had some infected wounds. However now, coupled with the cyst, it seems more suspicious. Any suggestions?

A reputable aquarium store in my area has suggested I try using betadine on him - has anyone tried this before successfully?

Melafix is only good for cuts and wounds. It's only an antiseptic lotion.
I think the Betadine is also and antiseptic lotion.
There just external bacterial medications.

You really need an antibiotic to treat. But you would have to isolate the fish for
treatment.

Columnaris can also effect the gills causing them to go white. Also cause gasping and
laboured breathing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columnaris

Well I've had a large test done on the water in the display and in the hospital tanks - both are OK on nitrite and all other tests. So that's good.

As for antibiotics, in Australia it seems that I need to get a vet's prescription to get proper medication like those you are referring to, Wilder. Or if you are referring to an antibiotic that might be available over the counter, could you please give me some names of some of them or the brands? Thanks :)

Not sure on what antibiotics are available in Australia over the counter.
You could ask in Tropical Discussion.

How is the fish?

It would be interesting to know if there are there antibiotics avail over the counter in the UK?

The pleco has been behaving normally in the hospital tank, although he hasn't eaten much. Am going to try to tempt him with some veggies overnight tonight. The cyst seems to be less red now. The outside of it is his skin colour while the inside is still white, but it no longer looks "inflamed" (if that's what it was before). His gills are still white :(

No. You can only get antibiotics from a vet in the UK.
Have you tried a search to see if you can get meds online in your country?

Bless Him.
Thank you for the update.

I have actually taken the catfish to a vet this evening. He did some test and didn't find anything suspicious on the gills, so who knows? He said it will clear up over time, but it is not a fungus nor an infection.

As for the cyst, well it is actually a growth of some sort (malignant, benign, otherwise?? he was unable to tell at this point). It is being surgically removed on Monday - fingers crossed he pulls through :)! I will update his progress after Monday

Bless him.
Thanks for the update.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back