Red Cherry Shrimp & Lead Plant Weights

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PJGoblin

Reaction score
Hi All

I have mature 37 gallon tank with a variety of plants that are well established and growing.
I want to get some Red Cherry Shrimps to use as a clean up crew to control algae growth.
I have done allot of research into care and keeping of cherry shrimp and I am aware of their sensitivity to metals copper, zinc etc.

Question:

Will the lead raps that are weighting the plants down harm or kill the shrimp.
(under substrate/ fine gravel approx Ø3-4mm.)

Silly Question I know, but dont want to take the risk, thinking of buying a colony of them 20 or so.

Hi All

I have mature 37 gallon tank with a variety of plants that are well established and growing.
I want to get some Red Cherry Shrimps to use as a clean up crew to control algae growth.
I have done allot of research into care and keeping of cherry shrimp and I am aware of their sensitivity to metals copper, zinc etc.

Question:

Will the lead raps that are weighting the plants down harm or kill the shrimp.
(under substrate/ fine gravel approx Ø3-4mm.)

Silly Question I know, but dont want to take the risk, thinking of buying a colony of them 20 or so.

Not in the slightest, it's oxidised to prevent any reactions and is pretty inert by nature.

This is good news didnt fancy having to rake them all out....haaaaah...!

Just reading post by `TylerFerretLord` shrimp care, regarding copper in treatments.
I have recently treaded the main tank with protozin for a white spot problem.
Tank sorted long story been empty for 10 days.....! have to restock...!

The tank has had 3x 25-30% water changes and I have run some carbon sponges through the filter for few days.

Do you think i have done enough for removing the treatment from the tank or is their something else I should do.

The "lead" plant weights are not made of lead anymore, otherwise they would be of more value as a metal than their purpose.

Just to clarify lead oxides are poisonous however they are not used for plant weights.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back