Red Cherries Strange Behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alexarium

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello to all!

I have an AquaNano 40 tank and lots of red cherry shrimps.
Yesterday I noticed a very strange behaviour: many red cherries gathered at the out-take of the tank (this is where the water gets sucked into the filtration system.
Here are some photos to show what I mean:

2rpw589.jpg

5n4rpy.jpg

It is an established tank. All water parameters are great, the tank is heavily planted. No recent changes at all.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Two possibilities spring to mind...

Maybe some tasty morsel got sucked onto the sponge and they're eating it, or

Is that big one in the middle a female? She could be in breeding condition and the males are swarming round her. I know female shrimps release a hormone into the water when they're ready to breed and you'll often see all the male shrimps in a tank swimming about madly.

Have you tested the water, just to rule out any other issues?

I always find shrimp in my filter, not sure but maybe they are after the organic matter caught in the filtration system.

Yes, the water parameters are great and it's more than 6 or 7 females pregnant, so I presume some other females might be in breeding condition.

The tank is like a jungle, it's really heavily planted. I actually had to cut some of the plants as they were creating so much shade that the tank went dark!

What I can't understand is why they would gather there when the tank is full of food (hence the population bloom).

My shrimp just do that to clean out the filter

Mine do that quite often. Can't tell if it's feeding on a magical morsel caught in there or if they're breeding. Either way I don't think there should be any concern. Also, I generally find several when I clean out my filter. Babies get sucked up and then have a smorgasbord in the canister filter. When I pour out the old water, I always use a strainer of some type to catch them all, then just plop them back in the tank. 
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back