Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rebuilding A 20Gal After A Move

Discussion in 'Marine & Reef Journals' started by Donya, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Toney

Toney Mostly New Member

Cool

• Like Like x 1
  2. Donya

Donya Crazy Crab Lady
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

One of my zebra hermits in the non-reef making poor choices. It's fine, but the green brittle was pretty angry.

hermit_brittle_sm2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. NickAu

NickAu Member

OMG I have never seen a green brittle before, that is one cool looking critter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Donya

Donya Crazy Crab Lady

Couple full tank shots. I must confess to having gone full cheesy with the non-reef. The left side of the tank was getting kind of crowded with most of my inverts wanting to hang out by/in the cave formed by the rocks and the open sandy area on the right was essentially unused and kept turning into ugly Caulerpa tangles. I didn't want to do another big rock pile since it can be tough to make them stable (and I've never found epoxy to help much when large hermits and urchins are involved), so I found an alternate solution that will let my crabs climb out of the water while providing an alternate cave for critters that like to be inside things. The big piece of cheese only just went in, so everyone is a bit wary of it at the moment, although the zebra hermits have been been on the top a few times already. Will have to see if the new addition satisfies the big hermits enough that I can remove the "crab basket" they like to use for molting (it's the thing on the left).

nonreef_fts.jpg

reef_fts.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Donya

Donya Crazy Crab Lady

I think I finally figured out what my little blue guy is...sort of. Previously I thought he was a species of Amblyglyphidodon and was wondering if he was stunted because he wouldn't grow and retained the big-eyed "baby face" that young damsels typically grow out of. I recently saw my little fish's likeness on another site, where it labeled as an undescribed deep water chromis. Interesting! I've tried to link to the pic on the other site, hopefully it shows up:

[​IMG]

My little dude hates the camera with a passion so I don't think I'll ever get a clean pic like that. Anyway, that would explain why my little blue guy was a one-off and I've never seen another in the five years since.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Fish Addict

sounds cool

7. Donya

Donya Crazy Crab Lady

Holy smokes, I actually got a pretty clear picture of my little blue guy, although totally by accident. I was trying to get the coral and he just darted in at the right moment.

bluefish_sm2.jpg

Unfortunately I will have to start breaking these tanks down soon. They have really flourished in the last year, but I have to move again (I thought I'd be staying put for longer when I set them up last year). Hopefully I can get these tanks back up and running quickly again after moving later this month.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickAu

NickAu Member

Sorry to hear that,

9. Donya

Donya Crazy Crab Lady

Back up and running after relocation. Neither tank really needs the sponge filters that are in there anymore, but they are helping with pod production currently an not harming anything, so I'm going to wait a bit longer before taking those out.

both_tanks_cropped_sm1.jpg

Unfortunately, I lost two fish since my last post in this thread. Neither were youngsters an one wasn't really a surprise at all in that regard given how long I'd had it. Since that left one tank fish-less, I decided this week on a flame angel for the reef. I think that'll be it for me for fish even though it's sparse. The flame angel kind of reminds me of when I used to have a goldfish.