Reason my Betta Died

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OcBirdie68

Reaction score
My one Betta,Bert. that I had for almost 2 years , just died and we replaced it with another Betta last week, Swim Shady. Woke up today and Shady was dead. At 1st I thought it was shock and then I realized what killed him. Every time I fed him, I would just put in the pellets and walk away and I never saw him actually go and eat. 1st mistake , 2nd mistake when I bought him I never asked the pet store which pellets they were feeding them.
So I went today to go find out some information and pick up another fish. and sure enough the pellets that I fed him were not the same as the pet store.
Poor shady must have starved to death. Lesson learned ...the new fish I have the pellets that the store fed him, the micro pellets that I have left over from Bert, and I picked up some treats just in case.
Now for a name.
But I thought I would pass this along it's not something that you would normally think of.

My one Betta,Bert. that I had for almost 2 years , just died and we replaced it with another Betta last week, Swim Shady. Woke up today and Shady was dead. At 1st I thought it was shock and then I realized what killed him. Every time I fed him, I would just put in the pellets and walk away and I never saw him actually go and eat. 1st mistake , 2nd mistake when I bought him I never asked the pet store which pellets they were feeding them.
So I went today to go find out some information and pick up another fish. and sure enough the pellets that I fed him were not the same as the pet store.
Poor shady must have starved to death. Lesson learned ...the new fish I have the pellets that the store fed him, the micro pellets that I have left over from Bert, and I picked up some treats just in case.
Now for a name.
But I thought I would pass this along it's not something that you would normally think of.
Can we have information about your tank?

Is it cycled?
Water Parameters?
Tank size?
Filter?
Heater?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Fish don't starve to death in a few days or weeks.

Anything that breaks down in the water, be it fish food, fish waste, dead fish, dead plant, produces ammonia. In a healthy tank with an established biological filter, you get good bacteria that eat the ammonia and convert it into nitrite and then nitrate. If the filter is not established, you get high levels of ammonia that kills the fish. Uneaten fish food produces ammonia and this is probably what killed your fish.

If the filter has not established then keep the feeding down to 2-3 times per week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. The fish should eat all the food within 1 minute and any uneaten food should be removed to stop it creating ammonia.

You should check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH. If there is any ammonia or nitrite readings, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the readings are 0.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

*NB* Make sure any buckets used to fill the tank are free from chemicals and have not been used for anything except clean water. If possible, buy a couple of new buckets and use a permanent marker to write "FISH ONLY" on them. Keep those buckets by the tank and only use them for the fish.

The following link has some information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It is pretty long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back