Really sick bloated guppies - help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SaGuppyGirl

Reaction score
    1. Hi im needing some help. My female guppy gave birth a week ago, and has since bloated. Tried boiled peas, but that didnt help. Two days on shes really bloated, from what I read could it be dropsy? A males also bloated and also has a chest protusion all within the last couple of days. Taken them both out of the main tank yesterday and put into a qt tank. Ive never seen this before. Ph is 7.2 i have an aqua one 220l bare bottom tank with filtration in the top (using poly filter and bio balls in filter)
    2. Amonia Nitrate, Nitrite all 0
    3. Volume and Frequency of water changes: weekly - usually 20-25% we use rain water and our tanks been running for about 2 years. We had a run with callamanus and lost 3 guppies but that was a year and a bit ago. Since that weve had no losses, or sick fish.

Tank inhabitants: 8 guppies 4 glass cats, one "albino corydora", 2 "algae eaters"
  • Only the two seem effected, so far, today their poo seems a bit clear and stringy also. Have added salt to the qt tank.. hubby thinks maybe we should try epsom salts?

Last edited:
Hi
corydora 2 "algae eaters"

Sorry, but cories don't eat algae. You also need about 6 Cories as they are highly social fish.

Hi

Sorry, but cories don't eat algae. You also need about 6 Cories as they are highly social fish.
Had trouble posting on my phone in the early hours of the morning, it seems I missed the coma between corydora and 2 "algae eaters" ...I realise ideally the corydora would have others of its type, but s/he was a "rescue" from a fellow school mums tank, they had ich spread and were blaming it on him, he was going to be flushed so i took him. Better alone than the alternative we figured.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back