Really Bloated Dalmation Molly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nicolette

Reaction score
Hi I am new to forums, but I read through this one and it seemed like everyone was very helpful.
This morning I saw my Dalmatian molly go a bit spastic and then it started floating on its side at the top of the tank. It is really bloated and stuff is coming out of it. Not fry either. It almost looks like eggs. There was a bit of blood at first but not really now. I think maybe its intestines are coming out. I will include as much info on the tank as I can. I have separated it into the biggest thing I could find because of the egg things coming out. I wasn't sure they would mess up the tank or other fish. I am wondering if I can save it or of it is too late. The fish looks really bad. I have included a photo, but I really had to resize it to get it to load so I hope it comes out o-k

Tank size: 10gal about 2 mos old
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp: 82

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
very bloated.
very tiny orange spots, but they have always been there. I have always though of them as part of its markings
strange egg looking stuff coming out
Swimming on its side at top of the tank
Always a healthy eater
Skin looks smooth

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
About 1/4 at a time
Once a month
Done about a week ago

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Aquarium salt
API stress coat

Tank inhabitants:
Dwarf frog
Mystery snail
1 platy
1 gold pristella tetra
1 marigold variatus
I had another mickey mouse platy that died for no apparent reason about a month ago. I had the water checked then and everything was fine
I also had a dwarf gourami that died shortly after we got the tank. I later read that they don't do well in new tanks

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
2 days ago I put in 3 hybrid aponogeton bulbs. 2 sank to the bottom and one floated.
Exposure to chemicals:
none

Attachments

• fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 703
The stuff coming out of her she could be aborting make sure it isn't worms.
Prolapse intestines fish don't usually make it, they can pop back in but they can cause bacterial infections.
She sounds in a very bad way to me
Do you have any water stats.

The stuff coming out of her she could be aborting make sure it isn't worms.
Prolapse intestines fish don't usually make it, they can pop back in but they can cause bacterial infections.
She sounds in a very bad way to me
Do you have any water stats.
No water stats. I don't have any of that stuff here. I usually take a sample to the store. Since I put it in the other bowl there have been 3 eggs that have fallen to the bottom. They are clear round balls but it looks like there is something inside. I see nothing that looks like worms. There is less stuff hanging out of it but it is still about 1/8 of an inch out. If she is aborting, who did she mate with?

Bless her.
Livebearers can carry sperm for several months.
Sounds like she aborting to me
Is her intestines stills sticking out as that's called a prolapse.

Bless her.
Livebearers can carry sperm for several months.
Sounds like she aborting to me
Is her intestines stills sticking out as that's called a prolapse.
what is hanging out of her looks strange. closest to her body it is fleshy looking and formed to the shape of the opening. at the end of that there is bubbly looking stuff. smaller than the eggs so I am not sure if they are eggs stuck on the end or if that is intestine. I have never seen fish intestine, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say that its not. I will try to get a better pic. The area is not as red as the other pic.

Fish can get internal worms and intestional worms.
Worms can also look like a blob of mincemeat.
In the bubbly looking stuff can you see any tiny worms.

Fish can get internal worms and intestional worms.
Worms can also look like a blob of mincemeat.
In the bubbly looking stuff can you see any tiny worms.
I don't think that I see any worms. what color would they be? I am attaching another pic I hope it is clearer. Its hard to see. she is in constant motion.

Attachments

• DSC01416.jpg
    DSC01416.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 649
Disgusting poor thing.
Does she look in pain.
Not sure whats going off to be honest.

The member emmsy gone now and she a vet as I would ask her.
Not sure if its the fish insides or what.

Is the fish scales sticking out.

Disgusting poor thing.
Does she look in pain.
Not sure whats going off to be honest.

The member emmsy gone now and she a vet as I would ask her.
Not sure if its the fish insides or what.
she is just swimming in circles. she looks soo bloated I think that is why she is on her side. should I put her back in the tank so she is less stressed or do you think that would be bad for the others. If I have to end it what should I do? There are now 4 eggs.

Asked conlin t to take a look hes back online.
No keep her in issolation don't want fish pecking at her.

Asked conlin t to take a look hes back online.
No keep her in issolation don't want fish pecking at her.
I just saw your ? about the scales. It looks like they are in the pic, but I dont think they really are (sticking out). she looks very smooth everywere except on that lower area. They look a bit distorted but it seems to me that that is becouse of the bloating in that area. Thank you soo much for your help by the way.

Its awful when fish have to go through this type of thing is always happens to livebearers.
even seen the intestines pushing through the stomach.
Its touch and go if she survives.
She needs to pass that thing coming out of her anus, I don't know if its eggs or something else.
I would add half a teaspoon of salt to her water stir till it disolves than add to her container.

Its awful when fish have to go through this type of thing is always happens to livebearers.
even seen the intestines pushing through the stomach.
Its touch and go if she survives.
She needs to pass that thing coming out of her anus, I don't know if its eggs or something else.
I would add half a teaspoon of salt to her water stir till it disolves than add to her container.
thank you :)

The salt will help with the stress of the ordeal.
Good luck.
Keep the board posted to see how she goes bless her.

Hi all, sorry I'm late

It would appear the fish has had her egg sac rupture and the eggs are being expelled. If the egg sac in her body did actually rupture she probably won't survive the next 24 hours and if she does survive she probably won't breed again.
Female Livebearers have a separate compartment used to house the developing eggs and young. On rare occasions the lining of this sac/compartment can rupture and serious internal complications arise.
You mentioned a small amount of blood when it first happened. What appears as a small amount of blood to you and I is in fact a serious amount for a 2 inch fish.

Keep her in a nice calm place without other fish, (especially male livebearers) and see how she goes. If she looks worse then euthanase her. If she survives then keep her away from males for a month so she can heal up and recover from the ordeal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back