Re-starting My Fishless Cycle After A Move

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Boulder Fish

Reaction score
I am back to the hobby after a brief hiatus. I spent months on my fishless cycle last summer...and just before the cycle was complete, I think I killed my bacterial colony during a water change (forgetting to fully submerge the filter media before it was too late).

Shortly thereafter, I found out I'd be moving soon, so I packed up the whole works. We are now settled into our new home in Laramie, Wyoming (where there is no LFS, by the way) and I am ready to set up for a fishless cycle. All my gear has been stored in the garage for a couple of months, outside temperature ranging from about -10 F to 45 F. Would this have an impact on the effectiveness of my water conditioner or test kits?

Any advice?

If anything, the cooler storage temperatures should have helped the various bottles retain their potency, though I'm sure you're not anywhere near any expiration dates anyway, since its not been long I believe?

I'd squeeze/rinse out the dry filter media sections in plain tap water and clean off your various equipment. Declorinating is not necessary for just cleaning things up. Then I'd test your tap water and record that clearly in your aquarium notebook, where you'll be logging your fishless cycle and I'd post those results up here too for the members to see. Have you located the right type of ammonia yet?

~~waterdrop~~

yup i can't imagine it'd cause a problem. if you're unsure any product which includes chemicals (such as the test kits, dechlor etc) have to provide information to the public about this sort of thing so look on the website of the company who make it and see if it has information on storage temps, if not you can fire them off an e-mail or call them up. :good:

Thank you both. I do have the proper ammonia. I will be posting my progress with the fishless cycle, as I think its an important way to stay on track. I was SO very close to completing the cycle last time - and the support I received on the forum was invaluable. I feel like I have made every possible mistake, had every possible curve-ball thrown at me...but I am sure there are other potential pitfalls that I haven't even considered yet. The most important thing to me is not hurting any fish...so I am committed to the fishless process, no matter how long it takes. Its worth it! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back