Random Death?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got a 120 Gallon of about 60 fish, recently fought off fish ick through the heat method. At this point no signs of issues what so ever. However came home 2 days ago and found a Cory dead and today found my twig fish dead as well.

Did a water test everything is at Zero, ph at 7.

Is there anything else that can cause a fish to just die one day, something to look for or test? I don't think it was due to hunger cause I watch my fish eat include the twig.

Unless I'm reading my ammonia test wrong and it's actually 0.25 and not 0, would that be enough to kill? But I'm pretty confident the color is at 0 and the rest of the Corys look fine.

Thanks

Fish do just die, and it is sometimes impossible to assess why. It may be related to any one or more of several factors. You will need to give us more data such as the fish species and numbers, how long the tank has been running, any additives to the water, and normal GH and pH and temperature. If only heat was used to treat ich, what temperature was used and for how long.

You should have some nitrates. Ich doesn't just go away because you raise the tempature of your tank.

Fish do just randomly die sometimes

Ich can; it stops reproducing at about 86F.

Yes but it doesnā€™t die. It has to be raised heat, along with lots of vacuuming to remove all the ich cysts. The ich cysts can re-infect your fish if not removed from the tank. Also if the heat isnā€™t left up for long enough, reproduction may start again, once the temps are lowered.

I would do temps of 86 for 14 days after the last spot disappears, and do daily vacuuming.

Or you could just use ich meds.

Fish that have recently been sick, are more likely to die, than other fish. So I wouldnā€™t say the deaths were random. I would say that they didnā€™t survive their ich infestation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the pH is 7.0 then low levels of ammonia will not be an issue.
If the pH is below 7.0 then ammonia is pretty harmless.
If the pH is above 7.0, then the ammonia becomes toxic and poisons all the fish very quickly.
Ammonia and pH are not the issue.

----------------------
Fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water so any food they eat is used for growth and movement. This means fish can go for weeks or months with no food and not die from starvation. This is not the issue.

----------------------
Did you do a water change or clean the filter before they died?
Did you add any new fish, plants or ornaments within 2 weeks of them dying?

What did the fish look like when they died?
Any weird colours or just looked normal but dead?

----------------------
It's possible they were weakened by the whitespot and heat but losing 2 fish on the same day and another fish a couple of days later would suggest something else. Pictures always help, even of dead fish in water.

It's unlikely to be whitespot because the parasites die when the temperature reaches 28-29C and I am pretty sure you had the tank at 30C for 2 weeks, which would have killed them all off.

Monitor the situation and post pics of any fish dying. Do not add any new fish or plants for at least a month after everyone has been happy and healthy. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back