Ramshorn snails?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

stupid government laws made because they are afraid the snails will take over the country and fix the mistakes the politicians have made.
If I didnā€™t know better Colin, Iā€™d swear you live in the States by that comment :)

Yes, Malaysian Livebearing Snails will eat fish food that falls and sits on the substrate. So will pond snails and bladder snails. I feed flake/pellet food for the upper fish and sinking tabs/pellets/disks for the substrate feeders, and in tanks with only a few of the latter the disk might not get completely eaten, and I always see it covered by these snails so they clearly do eat fish food that gets down there. I have even seen the snails and fish chomping together on the same disk.

Algae will not contribute to ammonia; like higher plants, algae feeds on nutrients including ammonia and produces oxygen, though this is obviously much less than will be the case with higher plants that have a higher need for nutrients. The small snails mentioned above will eat algae as they find it browsing the surfaces, but even with many snails this will not be sufficient to deal with "problem" algae. But it all helps.

It is a good idea to run a sponge-type scraper over the inside of the front glass at every water change whether you see any algae on the glass or not. Surfaces under water develop a biofilm and algae readily grows on these. Cleaning the glass at every water change will catch the beginnings of any algae before you can even see it.

Many thanks for your response. I think these are the ones I will be going for. Hopefully I donā€™t end up with breeding. I imagine this is only a problem when overfeeding occurs which I definitely donā€™t do my fish get fed every other day or every few days at the moment. I use a magnetic scraper at the moment. I think I just need to use it more frequently to reduce the problem. Thank you for your help and advice.

We have bladder snails and ramshorn snails. They came with purchased plants. They initially multiplied alot, and I had to do some population control, but after a while they seemed to reach an equilibrium level population. Our 120 L tank now seems to have a fairly consistent dozen or so adult snails.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back