Ram Spinning

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Arfie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I rescued a Ram on Tuesday from Pets@home, I spotted it in the unheated plant tank and it had to have been in it since before xmas as I was in just after opening time. Long story cut short I brought it home.

When I got it back it had a tiny bit of fungus on its dorsal fin, so I tried melafix first. Today though it had appeared under it's eye :( But it also today started spinning around the tank, corkscrewing.

I have read that it could be swimbladder, so I've added it to a tank that I started treating for this cos I have a couple of fish with swimbladder problems. I've also read that it could be brain damage, which could be caused by heat or cold, well that would fit in with being in an unheated tank in an unheated shop for at least 3 days.

Any other thoughts?

Arfie

The corkscrewing doesn't sound too good. Sorry.

My bet is columnaris. Often "fungus" is bacterial, not fungal. You are going to need stronger antibiotics to give this guy a chance. Ironically, a lower temperature is your friend with this disease, as it thrives in warm water.

check out this link for more info.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdcolumn.htm

Does he spin really fast in circles.

No he swims across the tank in a twisting motion, like a cork screw. He is also sometimes swimming "normally" but laying one his side and he can also swim properly, upright and in a straight line.

He is in a tank that is being treated for swimbladder problems (with salt and swimbladder meds Interpet No13) and he seems to be swimming OK so far today and he is searching for food. The fungus seems to be halted, it's not spreading anymore but its not receding either. Does salt help with fungus?

Arfie

Yes fungus dosn't like salt, but only add it to the tank if you have no scaless fish, good luck.

Well so far so good :thumbs: he's stopped the corkscrewing, the fungus is gone, where the fins have been attacked by fungus they look clean and healthy so they should regrow quickly, he is eating well when he isn't hiding from me :lol:

Arfie

vitamin defficiency also indicates what you saw. Maybe what you fed him helped as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back