Raising Small Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Denni

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I currently have 3 tanks, a 35L with 6 platys (male and female), 20L with 4 mollies (all female) and a 10L one with a male betta.

We first had the platys and mollys in the 35L tank, and decided to separate them by getting a 20L tank, when we started noticing small fry swimming around the bottom.
The first time we only found one, and quickly bought one of those breeding collecting containers for him/her to swim around. Its grown quite big, but not big enough to put it into the tank with the others. 
Then we found 2 more (really tiny) fry, and we tried to keep them in the container with the first fry, but its been chasing the small ones. 

Now the small ones are in a small container/cup, floating on top of my betta tank for the heat.

My question is, is it better to have a separate fry tank? could i use one of those silly 2L betta tanks while they are growing? or a heat mat with a few small tanks,for different sized fry? or do I need to have some filtration as well?

I'd really appreciate the help
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to the forum! To answer your question, yes it is better to have a seperate fry tank if you want to raise them. It doesn't need to be filtrated but either way you'll need to be making water changes.Guppies being tropical fish, would thrive with a heater.I do although have some concerns with your 20L stocking, Sadly mollies grow too big for that tank and need a minimum of 75 liters so you should consider rehoming if its possible :( .Anyways best of luck with the fry, maybe you can get some pics?

I use a 19Litre tank for my fry, it is filtered, new fry go into a breeder box inside the tank, once they're big enough to not get sucked up by the filter they are moved into the main part of the tank. I would echo the problems with your tanks, 35L is not large enough for Platies and 20L is definitely not large enough for Mollies, what kind of Molly are they? if they're sailfins they'll need a large tank, i would recommend 90cm long at least as these guys and girls are very active fish and grow to almost 6 inches in length. If they're smaller mollies, i'd think a 60cm tank of at least 75 litres should be okay. My advice (if you can afford to) would be to buy a larger tank in which to move your Platies and Mollies into and then use the 20L tank for your fry. I would personally filter it, once they're a couple of months old.

Thanks for the advice guys, its much appreciated. Getting a bigger tank and using the 20L as a fry tank was one of my original ideas and so we have been on the look out for a very sturdy bench/table for it to sit it on, because our dog is good at knocking things over!
My dad has kept fish (and rats, snakes, birds as well)  when he was younger, but he living in a very different climate

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back