Raising bristlenose pleco fries - Log

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yhbae

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Finally, I have my 3rd spawn from the pair. This time, I will post what I am about to / is going through, and hopefully will share the experience with those who are also interested in breeding/raising bristlenose plecos.

As a reminder, I completely lost both of the previous spawns for unknown reasons (strongly suspect water quality). This time I'll try whatever I can do get as many to survive.

The male has started to release fries yesterday - I can see about 7 of them in the main tank now, and more and showing up every hour. This time, I expect at least 25 fries.

My setup for the fries:

- Tank: 5.5g (obviosly, I'm not going to raise 1 inch fries out of this tank)
- Heater: Ebo Jager 100w (don't have anything lower rated)
- Filter: Aqua Clear Mini
- Substrate: None.
- Plants: None. Does anyone see any benefit of adding java moss in this tank?
- Water: 50% from the main tank, 50% from the tap, with water conditioner added.
The tank has been left running for 24 hours with the filter on.
- Light: None. There's dim ambient light - that should be sufficient.

- Food: I've chopped zuchini, cucumer and stems of brocoli into thin slices. I plan to blanch, add them and keep them in the tank for two days max. Anything they don't eat will go into the main tank where the adults live. I plan to add all three of them at the same time to see which ones they prefer to eat. Does anyone know if they eat baby brine shrimps?

- Water change: I plan to do it daily, about 20% or so. I will be vaccing every time to remove anything that is not fish in the tank other than vegetable slices.

That's it for now. I'll post every few days to see how the setup goes. I plan to transfer the first batch of fries tonight.

Can't wait! ;)

:) You'd be better off adding amazon swords in pots,baby bristles spend all day grazing, and most of the night lol
I'd also add a light to encourage algae, I raised 50 + in a bright tank

babyfish said:
:) You'd be better off adding amazon swords in pots,baby bristles spend all day grazing, and most of the night lol
I'd also add a light to encourage algae, I raised 50 + in a bright tank
Thanks for the suggestions. How often do you do water change?

good news on the fry (you've got that far! - my 3rd 'clutch' dissapeared!)

I'll be following this thread :D

what did they spawn in?

smithrc said:
good news on the fry (you've got that far! - my 3rd 'clutch' dissapeared!)

I'll be following this thread :D

what did they spawn in?
Thanks... ;)

For me, I deliberately picked a driftwood that was hollow in the middle. It has about one inch dismeter hole (somewhat flat, which is perfect). When male guards, nothing goes in and othing comes out... ;)

So far, his success rate is 100% even though there are tonnes of other species in that tank...

Now only if I can figure out how to get them to live... ;)

Day 1
-------

Caught 4 fries only. I want to make sure nothing is seriously wrong before introducing more fries into this tank.

Initially I had the current at max on the Aqua Clear filter. Then I realized all fries were sliding all over the place at the bottom, unable to keep up with the current! :lol: I reduced it somewhat, and now it looks better.

I blanched some cucumer, zuchini and stems of brocoli and threaded with a chopstick. So far, none of them are interested in the vegetables.

Oh, the fries don't have any egg sac, so the male must have released them pretty late!

nino said:
can you get some pictures up for us?
Yes! I was about to post it... ;)

As you can see, I took some time to cook a nice meal for them... ;)

It contains zuchini, cucumber and brocoli stem. So far, the fries are preferring zuchini over others...

TankGrowBristlenose.jpg

Also, I've upgraded the light to around 2w/g now. It should have no problem driving some algae formation now...

Hmm... One small issue - the water has become somewhat cloudy. Did I cook a vegetable soup in my aquarium? (This is one of the examples why I want to introduce fries slowly into this tank!)

I'm gonna do some water change and see what happens by tomorrow...

can i ask why you move them at all???
I am planning to wait 3 weeks to move my fry, that gives them time for them to grow abit and also if you move them to young their bodies cant take it... well so i have discovered.
Well good luck!!! lol your gonna beat me and smith :(

I'm moving because I tried leaving them in the main tank before. I did this for my 1st spawn, and all but 2 survived past 3 weeks. If I leave them there again, there's no reason why I'd get any better success rate... -_-

samthefishman said:
well maybe its your other fish eating them?? i dont know.
Could u take more pics?
I doubt there are other fishes in that tank capable of eating 1cm fries. Neons can't do it, Harlequins can't, nor any cories. Adult bristlenose plecos don't eat them either...

As for more pictures, there's none interesting for me to take for now... I'll take more as I see any new development... ;)

samthefishman said:
could you take a pic of your actual tank, i wanna see what you breed them in
Oh for that, try clicking on my 25g tank - it is my first tank and that is the tank where my bristlenoses are breeding. Although you cannot see it, the wood has a hole at the bottom in which the male resides.

In fact, look at my avatar - it is the male who were caught on my camera when he was peeking out of the hole... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back