Raised Scales On Guppy Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

miniworlds

Reaction score
hi please assist me in getting a correct diagnosis and treatment for my guppy. i appreciate raised scales means dropsy, but could it be mechanical damage/bruising?

his dorsal fin has split away from his body and is constantly draping against his caudel peduncle. it has been that way since just after i got him (4 months), i noticed a dark patch a couple of weeks ago but now i see the raised scales on the dark area. this is the same on both sides of his body. So the tail end of his body just before his tail is swollen. Picture attached.

tank 25 ltr Fluval Edge
been going 4 months (started with an used mature sponge)
4 female guppys 1 male
feed flake food and sometimes bloodworms
weekly to fortnightly water changes
tank is planted under light
outside the central light area is blue gravel
temperature about 25
my water is hard
i have not had my water tested yet - sorry i will do soon

Attachments

• guppy.jpg
    guppy.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 448
I'm not sure about the raised scales, maybe put some aquarium salt in the tank and see if that helps.  As for the dorsal fin because he is a fancy guppy it will have a small part attached and the rest be free flowing and long.

In my book "The Tropical Aquarium" by Dick Mills it says that raised scales like that "Dropsy; The scales protrude noticeably due to accumulated liquid in the body. The fluid from infected fish may infect others. To prevent this happening remove any sick fishes from the aquarium promptly." Pg 73.
Im not sure if this is what is going on with your fish, but I saw this and figured I should share.

Dropsy normally affects the abdomen, so it's not dropsy in the usual sense.

OP; you really need to get your water tested and post the results. Once you've taken a sample for testing, do a large water change in the tank; at least 75 or 80%, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated, of course.

I suspect, in this case, the fish has a bacterial infection. I would try treating with Myxazin, or another anti internal bacteria medication.

I would also think something bacterial as there is no appearance of anything fungal that could have gotten between his scales.

I'd do a water change anyways while waiting for the results as this is normally due to bad water.

Hope you solve this!

Thank you, bluesworld for telling me about his fin only been a little bit attached, now i am not worried that his flowing fin has been the cause of his problem as its completely normal!

Yesterday i did a 25% water change and started a course of Myxazin, i will wait till tomorrow to take water sample then do the BIG water change you recomend fluttermouth then dose again. It will be saturday before i can get to the LFS for the test.

and you are all prob right about the water quality as changes had slipped from weekly to fortnightly 25%

He is well in himself, i will keep you posted of results.

The bottle of Myxazin says dose for 5 consecutive days...do you guys have views on sticking to this or go longer?

Go the five days and see how he looks :good:

Keeping my fingers crossed for the little chap.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back